Following
Name
Terry
Country
United States
City/State
Virginia
Hedllo folks,
After reading some posts about a poster's 200-6000 not being sharp, it made me curious abbout mine. So I took this shot yesterday. May I please get your opinion on the sharpness?
Thank you
meta data.JPG
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • 576.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 5000

I think your higher iso may have affected the sharpness in this case.
Are you saying that it’s not that sharp? I see higher iso images. Thank you.

I've not done any updates on mine and am quite happy with the sharpness. I normally use a higher shutter speed than 1/500.

2 things that definitely affect the sharpness pre se, are the relatively liw shutter speed and the high ISO which kill fine detail on bird shots.
Knowing you shoot from a tripod, I will ask if you have the stabilisation off, because that will create blur too.

Are you saying that it’s not that sharp? I see higher iso images. Thank you.
Higher ISO tends to produce a softer image, there is feather detail in the bird. try taking a shot of a bird in better light and lower ISO and see what you get.

2 things that definitely affect the sharpness pre se, are the relatively liw shutter speed and the high ISO which kill fine detail on bird shots.
Knowing you shoot from a tripod, I will ask if you have the stabilisation off, because that will create blur too.
I’m on very stable tripod and the lens stabilization is on.

I’m on very stable tripod and the lens stabilization is on.
Boy, increase shutter speed and lower iso. That’s going to be tough under my shade tree. I’m going to keep trying and do exactly what you guys are suggesting. Thank you for the reply.

Boy, increase shutter speed and lower iso. That’s going to be tough under my shade tree. I’m going to keep trying and do exactly what you guys are suggesting. Thank you for the reply.
Turn of the stabilisation on a tripod, always, its not needed and can cause issues. I never worry about ISO too much, if exposed accurately you can still retain details up to 10k.

Turn of the stabilisation on a tripod, always, its not needed and can cause issues. I never worry about ISO too much, if exposed accurately you can still retain details up to 10k.
It’s on on the lens only, not the camera.

It’s on on the lens only, not the camera.
When its on on the lens, its on on the camera, you cant select them separately, its automatic.

Turn of the stabilisation on a tripod, always, its not needed and can cause issues.
This has not been my experience. There is always some vibration when my hand is on the camera, I can see the image stabilizing when I activate the AF, and it has allowed me to use shutter speeds as slow as 1/80 sec with a 600 GM + 1.4x TC. My tripod is a carbon fiber Series 5 Gitzo.

This has not been my experience. There is always some vibration when my hand is on the camera, I can see the image stabilizing when I activate the AF, and it has allowed me to use shutter speeds as slow as 1/80 sec with a 600 GM + 1.4x TC. My tripod is a carbon fiber Series 5 Gitzo.
Yet every manufacturer says turn it off on a tripod and many say when shooting high shutter speeds.
I dont think its the stabilizer working you can see, the stabilzed image in the viewfinder isnt the same

I'm no expert on long telephoto lenses but to me the eye is perfectly sharp in this image and I assume this is where you were setting the camera to focus. In that case it is up to you and your settings to get the rest of the subject sharp.

Yet every manufacturer says turn it off on a tripod and many say when shooting high shutter speeds.
I dont think its the stabilizer working you can see, the stabilzed image in the viewfinder isnt the same
What mode do you use? I’m using mode 1.

What mode do you use? I’m using mode 1.
Always mode 1 for me, I can't get on with the other 2 modes and I don't find they make a jot of difference. Having the image wobbling about in the viewfinder is weird

I'm no expert on long telephoto lenses but to me the eye is perfectly sharp in this image and I assume this is where you were setting the camera to focus. In that case it is up to you and your settings to get the rest of the subject sharp.
Those birds are so fast, I prefocus on a spot that I think they will land, then hit the shutter button when one lands.

I have always found that images with the A7Riv + 200-600 come out softer than with the A1 + 200-600

The viewfinder image is exactly what the sensor sees. In the last 4+ years using the a1, and the last ten years using Sony alpha mirrorless cameras, using Steady Shot has shown very clear benefit when using long lenses, slow shutter speeds and a tripod. My photos speak for themselves.

The viewfinder image is exactly what the sensor sees. In the last 4+ years using the a1, and the last ten years using Sony alpha mirrorless cameras, using Steady Shot has shown very clear benefit when using long lenses, slow shutter speeds and a tripod. My photos speak for themselves.
Doug, are you saying that I should use optical steady shot when on a tripod?

Always mode 1 for me, I can't get on with the other 2 modes and I don't find they make a jot of difference. Having the image wobbling about in the viewfinder is weird
Thank you, so do I, but only because I saw a utube about it. I don’t know what it does.

I'm not going to tell you or anyone else what to do. I'm saying what my experience has been.
I had a 16x20 print made so I’ll find out later this week. If it’s good enough to have a frame made for, then Ive accomplished what I wanted to do. If not, I’ll keep trying. I will wait for better light so I can lower my iso and increase my shutter speed.

I have the series 5 systematic tripod. Gitzo claims that it is their sturdiest tripod. So I bought it for my 200-600. I bought it from B&H and it arrived defective, so I returned it for a new one. While I was waiting, I ran across Leofoto USA. I bought their LN-404. They claimed it was their sturdiest. I put their fluid head on it, and my Markins ball head on the Gitzo. Hands down, the Leofoto is like a brick wall. I use the Gitzo for my ptimes, and Leofoto for my 200-400. Yes, they are made in China, but opened a distribution center in the USA in 2008 and I personally highly recommend them.

Thanks for that info. That’s very interesting.

Thanks for that info. That’s very interesting.
You’re welcome Richard. The LN 404 has a 100mm top plate with a hook on the bottom. I hang a 20 pound bag from it and use spiked feet. The top plates come out and locks back in easily. Even the bag is nice. And it comes with spikes. Gitzo comes with nothing. I bought it because it’s Gitzo. I searched for a long time for the right tripod for my 200-600 because I know how important they are for a sharp image, and I found it. I bought a leveling bowl for too. I’ll use that for landscape photography.

Back