Followers
Following
Name
Anthony
Country
United Kingdom
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
So I currently have the original Tamron 70-180 and also have the Tamron 70-300 (4.5-6.3) The later being for occasional wildlife, Zoo photography etc where i find the 180 focal length a bit limiting. I'm not keen on the heavier 400 & 600 focal length. The 70-300 does an OK job but I'm considering if maybe the 70-200 F4 with the TC would be a good way to replace two lenses with one. Optically I understand the 70-200 is superb, I also gain OSS which I miss on the 70-300 as I'm not as steady as i used to be ! Having said that with some good camera craft this can be mitigated for. Any thoughts if this seems a sensible swop or another option maybe. For ref i shoot the A7riiia which i have no intention of replacing at this time.

Hi the 70 to 200 F4 II plus a TC will give you all the above plus macro at 0.7 or 1 depending on the TC you go for.
I can't see what's not to like as the TC fits in a pocket also.

The biggest issue you will have, especially in the UK, is light. a 2x will kill your available light by 2 stops, and I do think it will affect IQ. Have you considered the Tamron 50-300 or better still 50-400? I find I use the long end of the 200 600 a lot at our zoos.

The biggest issue you will have, especially in the UK, is light. a 2x will kill your available light by 2 stops, and I do think it will affect IQ. Have you considered the Tamron 50-300 or better still 50-400? I find I use the long end of the 200 600 a lot at our zoos.
The 400 & 600 lenses are definite no's for me. I tried both focal lengths and found them to be to heavy and inconvenient. Plus you have to make a conscious effort to take them out which meant I often left them behind as i didn't really like using them. From what I have read the TC dont have any impact on image quality which sounds unusual . Agree on the light impact the 1.4 would give you F5.6 which may not be to bad. I will look into the newer Tamron more. If i spending he best part of £2k on a lens it has to be right so thank you for your input.

The 400 & 600 lenses are definite no's for me. I tried both focal lengths and found them to be to heavy and inconvenient. Plus you have to make a conscious effort to take them out which meant I often left them behind as i didn't really like using them. From what I have read the TC dont have any impact on image quality which sounds unusual . Agree on the light impact the 1.4 would give you F5.6 which may not be to bad. I will look into the newer Tamron more. If i spending he best part of £2k on a lens it has to be right so thank you for your input.
I think you will find that they are much lighter and not an issue to carry all day

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back