Birds A9 or A7R IV for feather definition?

russellsnr

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
Russell Webb (snr)
I just wonder would you get better feather definition from the extra pixels provided by the A7R IV?
I have the A9 and yes quite happy with how the camera operates for both BIF and still subjects but on occasion subjects are quite far away so also those extra pixels would maybe come in handy at times but then the A9 is so fast when it comes to focusing in flight or still subjects.
Thank You, Russ.

If you're cropping, more MP is always helpful.

You may also want to think about the 33MP A7 IV. It isn't as fast as the A9 nor does it have the MP of the R IV, but it has something neither of them do: Bird Eye Detection. Right now I believe that focus system is limited to the A1 and A7 IV, although I wouldn't expect the same performance as the A1. At one time I thought they may upgrade the A9 and R IV, but with rumors of an A7R V, an A7 CII, and an A9III floating around, I now think those upgrades are doubtful but will instead be included on all new cameras.

Keep in mind too that when you see professionally shot wildlife photos, those guys rarely crop more than a minimum to address composition. They work their butts off to get close and get the shot, which is why 20MP is plenty for them. Most of we normal folks don't have that kind of time so we depend on cropping to get us closer. I try not to crop any more than I have to and will not crop to the extent that image quality is compromised unless there is some specific reason. On a bird shot, once feather detail around the eye is gone the shot suffers. I'd rather have a nice environmental shot than a bad portrait.

If you're cropping, more MP is always helpful.

You may also want to think about the 33MP A7 IV. It isn't as fast as the A9 nor does it have the MP of the R IV, but it has something neither of them do: Bird Eye Detection. Right now I believe that focus system is limited to the A1 and A7 IV, although I wouldn't expect the same performance as the A1. At one time I thought they may upgrade the A9 and R IV, but with rumors of an A7R V, an A7 CII, and an A9III floating around, I now think those upgrades are doubtful but will instead be included on all new cameras.

Keep in mind too that when you see professionally shot wildlife photos, those guys rarely crop more than a minimum to address composition. They work their butts off to get close and get the shot, which is why 20MP is plenty for them. Most of we normal folks don't have that kind of time so we depend on cropping to get us closer. I try not to crop any more than I have to and will not crop to the extent that image quality is compromised unless there is some specific reason. On a bird shot, once feather detail around the eye is gone the shot suffers. I'd rather have a nice environmental shot than a bad portrait.
Hi, Thank you for the replly, what is putting off the A7 IV is I believe it blacks out between frames when trying to shoot moving subjects I have never actually seen this in operation as I came across from Canon to the A9. Thanks again, Russ.

Hi, Thank you for the replly, what is putting off the A7 IV is I believe it blacks out between frames when trying to shoot moving subjects I have never actually seen this in operation as I came across from Canon to the A9. Thanks again, Russ.
There's no doubt the A7 IV is not purpose built for BIF or sports. As someone who doesn't spend a lot of time on BIF it doesn't really affect me at all. While I do shoot action at motorsports and air shows, I find the 6 fps rate for uncompressed RAW more than enough and the blackout doesn't bother me.

If you want total speed, no blackout, etc., stick with the A9, it's what it was made for. There's been talk of an A9III, perhaps Sony will bump the MP and maintain the speed. Might make the most sense to wait for that, although it's probably a year or more out.

I just wonder would you get better feather definition from the extra pixels provided by the A7R IV?
I have the A9 and yes quite happy with how the camera operates for both BIF and still subjects but on occasion subjects are quite far away so also those extra pixels would maybe come in handy at times but then the A9 is so fast when it comes to focusing in flight or still subjects.
Thank You, Russ.
I use the a9 and am fairly happy with results but more would be nice and if I got the a74r I would probably shoot in crop for extra reach and still gain on the pixel front

The A9 has a rather strong AA filter on the sensor. The A7R series of cameras do not have that AA filter. AFAIK, the A1 and A7iv do not have the AA filter either. On the pro side of having an AA filter is that there is less risk of moire on bird feathers but I'm now sure which birds this is a problem with on the Sony cameras.

The A9 has a rather strong AA filter on the sensor. The A7R series of cameras do not have that AA filter. AFAIK, the A1 and A7iv do not have the AA filter either. On the pro side of having an AA filter is that there is less risk of moire on bird feathers but I'm now sure which birds this is a problem with on the Sony cameras.
The A1 definitely does not have AA filtering. I do not know about the A7IV. It’s not something Sony is consistent about mentioning, unfortunately.

The A1 definitely does not have AA filtering. I do not know about the A7IV. It’s not something Sony is consistent about mentioning, unfortunately.
The A7 IV does not have an AA filter per the reviewers. I decided several years ago I would never again purchase a new camera with one, the difference in clarity is night and day. Shooting as many cars and front grills as I do you'd think moire would be an issue but it's never been. If it did show up I could always mask and apply a light filter in post, but I've never had to worry about it.

The A7 IV does not have an AA filter per the reviewers. I decided several years ago I would never again purchase a new camera with one, the difference in clarity is night and day. Shooting as many cars and front grills as I do you'd think moire would be an issue but it's never been. If it did show up I could always mask and apply a light filter in post, but I've never had to worry about it.

My personal theory, based on using quite a few cameras, is that an AA filter becomes unnecessary above maybe 30Mpixels, although Leica did not use one on the M9, and that was less.

So I’m unsurprised at the A7IV Not having one, but I wasn’t going to say either way, because it is on the borderline.

My personal theory, based on using quite a few cameras, is that an AA filter becomes unnecessary above maybe 30Mpixels, although Leica did not use one on the M9, and that was less.

So I’m unsurprised at the A7IV Not having one, but I wasn’t going to say either way, because it is on the borderline.
After thousands and thousands of photos on my 20MP Panasonic G9, I can say without hesitation it's a non-issue. Now, I suspect there may be some magic in the processor helping out.

I don't think it has much to do with megapickles, I think it's due to sensor and processor improvements.

Simple answer. Yes.
Also don't be put off of using the RIV for BIF. I do all of the time.

After thousands and thousands of photos on my 20MP Panasonic G9, I can say without hesitation it's a non-issue. Now, I suspect there may be some magic in the processor helping out.

I don't think it has much to do with megapickles, I think it's due to sensor and processor improvements.
The G9 may not have an AA filter. :) https://www.sansmirror.com/cameras/camera-database/panasonic-m43-cameras/panasonic-g9.html

Simple answer. Yes.
Also don't be put off of using the RIV for BIF. I do all of the time.

Same here.

Last edited:
You misread my post. The G9 does not have one, which is the point I was trying to make. A 20MP camera with no AA filter and no moire issues. I wouldn't have bought one if it did have an AA filter.

He suggested it may have something to do with higher MP sensors. It doesn't, and I offered the G9 as evidence.
Sorry.

The A7Riv is also not blackout free and has rolling shutter in electronic shutter mode. The extra MP undoubtedly help but having owned both the A7RIV and A9ii for Birds in flight and moving subjects I would take the A9 every time as I could not get on with the blackout when I picked up the A7Riv

The A7Riv is also not blackout free and has rolling shutter in electronic shutter mode. The extra MP undoubtedly help but having owned both the A7RIV and A9ii for Birds in flight and moving subjects I would take the A9 every time as I could not get on with the blackout when I picked up the A7Riv
Interesting. I see people comment on blackout and yet I have never noticed it, so it has obviously never been an issue. I never use E Shutter, it has no benefit on the RIV.

Interesting. I see people comment on blackout and yet I have never noticed it, so it has obviously never been an issue. I never use E Shutter, it has no benefit on the RIV.
Thats why you have not noticed it Kev I always use e shutter and it was a pain in the ****.

Back