Adobe's new licensing agreement, and alternatives.

Snapshot

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Utah
I don't know how many of you have already seen Adobe's new licensing agreement, which is causing a lot of backlash among creative professionals, but here's a story about it:

Adobe Photoshop just updated its terms of use, and users are FURIOUS — customers balk at new cloud content access requirement they can't opt out of

I've never really used anything else besides GIMP, which I found lacking. I really like Lightroom, and I occasionally use Photoshop, and I'm wondering what are the alternatives that people here are using?

Personally I lost trust in Adobe when they dropped support for stand alone versions of Lightroom only months after saying they would support the stand alone product "in perpetuity".
I first tried Luminar but it didn't really fit me well. I've then moved to On1 PhotoRaw which I'm still using. I had only started to look at Photoshop, and learning it when Adobe changed things, so my situation is probably not comparable to yours, but there are several here who are using other alternatives.

Adobe have clarified their reasons for this update to their Terms Of Use. I don't know if this makes any difference to those who were upset by it. There was certainly a lack of communication about it. Anyway, are they any worse than any other software companies that are using AI? Who really knows?

The solution is to not use their cloud storage, which I never have anyway.

The solution is to not use their cloud storage, which I never have anyway.
Mine has always said the cloud storage is full but there is nothing in it. I have had an active defect filed with them that has seen no advancement in over a year. This is my last year with the license as my source for a discount on Adobe will no longer have the discount come renewal time.

I use mostly CaptureOne as the majority of the tools are just as easy or easier to use than they are with the Adobe products. There are a couple features that CaptureOne doesn't have yet but I rarely use them so it won't be a lose.

Mine has always said the cloud storage is full but there is nothing in it. I have had an active defect filed with them that has seen no advancement in over a year. This is my last year with the license as my source for a discount on Adobe will no longer have the discount come renewal time.

I use mostly CaptureOne as the majority of the tools are just as easy or easier to use than they are with the Adobe products. There are a couple features that CaptureOne doesn't have yet but I rarely use them so it won't be a lose.
That's very odd. I have only had to contact them once and they were excellent (by phone). I still haven't found another program that I like or can get on with. Adobe also makes sense for me as 2 of us use it on 2 devices. I will say I have stopped updating it though, the last one I did made it unusable so I rolled it back.

That's very odd.
I will say I have stopped updating it though, the last one I did made it unusable so I rolled it back.
That's very odd too I reckon. Which actual app did you have the problem with?

Back