Alpha shooter shoutout from Kansas City

Sundog

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Carl
Hi Everyone!

I'm excited to join this community and hope I don't wear out my welcome too quickly. I have a background in aerial survey/imaging, but mostly as a pilot and software developer. I've almost always had a camera operator in the plane with me operating everything from 35mm film cameras up to million dollar large format digital sensors. I've recently decided to do my own thing am now working with a small plane and a relatively small camera (compared to what I was used to flying with). I got the A7RIV - because in my line of work I learned that pixels really is everything, and for now have matched that with the Sony FE 24-105 f4 G OSS lens. I am crawling up a lot of learning curves at the moment. My photog friends have been helpful with learning about the art of photography in general but I'm the only one I know with this camera (or even a Sony camera for that matter). I've been so impressed with what I've been able to get out of the camera in the air right out of the box, but as I try to push it's capabilities it has become difficult to determine if I am finding myself up against the cameras limitations, or my own. Hence joining this community where it is guaranteed that everyone here knows a lot more than I do and can probably help me figure this incredible camera out!

Carl

Howdy Carl!

Let's see some images, you have access to something that most of us don't. If you have enough fuel, pop over my place will you, I'd love a shot of it in the landscape. Ta.

Greetings from another newcomer. I like how like minded everyone is here. We all want the same thing, to take great photographs and are willing to help out each other in that quest.

Hi Dave & Tom! Here's what I was able to get last week over our Super Bowl champion Chief's first game of the season. I'm not doing myself any favors shooting in low light conditions from a moving aircraft but even with extra noise and some subsequent sacrifice of detail, I'm really happy with what I can get out of the 7R4. But I think I have some focus-related anomalies that I will bring up after another test flight.

I wish I could do a photoshoot over your place Dave but I would need a few more islands in the pond to ever make it to you!

Attachments

• BannerFwSm.JPG
    BannerFwSm.JPG
    245.8 KB · Views: 16
  • BannerFwDetail1.JPG
    BannerFwDetail1.JPG
    305.9 KB · Views: 16
Awesome shots, but I see what you mean. Without seeing the exif data, it's difficult to make any suggestions.

Try uploading the image and selecting "whole image" rather than "thumbprint", that should bring the data through.

BannerFwSm.JPG
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS
  • 62.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 2000

Ok I didn't see that option to load the full image before! But still not sure where the EXIF data is supposed to show up? I can see it when I open the image in my local viewing app though: 1/1000sec, ISO 2000, f/4m 62mm

Lol never mind, I see that it included the EXIF *after* I posted!

I think, and I stand to be corrected as I've never attempted any aerial photos, distance may well be the issue, especially at f4. I know that from shooting from the ground, long distance shots are massively affected by heat haze. I would try a smaller aperture, it will push your iso up, but not really an issue these days.

I also guess that the plane will have some vibration, so if you are leaning on part of it to take the shot, that may have an effect. Try putting something soft between the camera and the plane.

Just ideas.

Back