Name
Ed Galea
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
London
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Southwark Cathedral and the Shard. Southwark Cathedral in Borough Market London was built and extended over several hundred years but it's origins date back to 1106. The present building retains the basic form of the Gothic structure built between 1220 and 1420, although the nave is a late 19th-century reconstruction. In the background is the Shard, the UKs tallest building. I like the juxtaposition of these two iconic London landmark buildings. I also like the other small details in the image, including the moon and the flag of St.George flying over the Cathedral.

Southwark Cathedral-1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II
  • 28.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/5000 sec
  • ISO 1250

Last edited:
Lovely shot. Super juxtaposition of the older and newer architecture, highlighted by the colour contrast of the blue of the shard with the warmer colours of the stone.

Even got the moon in!

A very good try to adapt the 2 when looking at them. I think they have done a good job.

Lovely shot. Super juxtaposition of the older and newer architecture, highlighted by the colour contrast of the blue of the shard with the warmer colours of the stone.

Even got the moon in!
Thanks Thad, it's one of my favourite local places, particularly because of Borough Market, but the general area if very interesting.

A very good try to adapt the 2 when looking at them. I think they have done a good job.
I've got to admit, I love both buildings - for very different reasons.

it's one of my favourite local places, particularly because of Borough Market
Already made a mental note to visit that market, after seeing your pics. Can't recall having been there.

Back