Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Etienne Steenkamp
Country
South Africa
Unusual occurrence to have two blue supermoons within a year of each other since this usually only happens about once every 10 years, but we had one last August as well with photos of that on this forum too, for those interested to go back to the post by Ed (@evacguy) from last year.

20240819-A1_09504-2.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 600mm F4 GM OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 100
20240819-A1_09512.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 600mm F4 GM OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 100

Unusual occurrence to have two blue supermoons within a year of each other since this usually only happens about once every 10 years, but we had one last August as well with photos of that on this forum too, for those interested to go back to the post by Ed (@evacguy) from last year.

View attachment 65636View attachment 65637
Hi Etienne, really nice capture of the Blue Supermoon. Our Blue Supermoon over London was extra special as it appeared in a dazzling orange colour, apparantly due to the soot particles in the atmosphere from the wildfires across the Atlantic. I took a few shots last night and hope to post them as soon as I've post processed them. Mine won't look as sharp as yours as I used my 70-200mm with 2.0X TC and you used the magnificent 600mm, but it will be intersesting to compare.

Hi Etienne, really nice capture of the Blue Supermoon. Our Blue Supermoon over London was extra special as it appeared in a dazzling orange colour, apparantly due to the soot particles in the atmosphere from the wildfires across the Atlantic. I took a few shots last night and hope to post them as soon as I've post processed them. Mine won't look as sharp as yours as I used my 70-200mm with 2.0X TC and you used the magnificent 600mm, but it will be intersesting to compare.
Thanks Ed, looking forward to seeing yours. I also tried a few with the 1.4x teleconverter and my 600 lens and eventually decided that the ones without the TC were sharper, despite having to crop more.

Super Blue Moon over London, 18 Aug 2024. First image is a single image, second image is a stack of 42 images in Ps.

super blue moon orange_denoise-2.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II + 2X Teleconverter
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 400
super blue moon orange-5.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II + 2X Teleconverter
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 400

Last edited:
Super Blue Moon over London, 18 Aug 2024. First image is a single image, second image is a stack of 42 images in Ps.
Definitely an interesting colour, as you mentioned. Lots of detail in that stacked one. I tried stacking mine too, but must have gone about it wrong, since it did not work at all, actually gave me a blurry image. Will have to look at a few instruction videos before trying again.

Definitely an interesting colour, as you mentioned. Lots of detail in that stacked one. I tried stacking mine too, but must have gone about it wrong, since it did not work at all, actually gave me a blurry image. Will have to look at a few instruction videos before trying again.
You have to be quite strict with the images you reject from the stack. I had about 12 images I rejected as I didn't think they were up to the quality of the others. I also edit all mine in sync within LrC before I export to Ps to ensure that the images are as close to each other as possible. I also centre the cropped images as best I can in LrC before I export so that the aligning process can work. I've found that if the moon crops are not positioned almost identically, the stacking can fail or produce poor results. Not sure if that helps, but it is worth trying again.

Back