Sony A6700 Bumping Shutter speed dial in Shutter Priority mode

LandyShooter

Followers
Following
Name
LandyShooter
Hi all,

I've enjoyed using my new A6700 over the last few days in a national park in Africa - in video mode 99% of the time.
I use Shutter Priority mode so that the Shutter speed is always locked at twice the frame rate, and the Aperture adjusts automatically etc

However, on the A6700 the dial on the top of the camera nearest the right hand side is then by default set to adjust the Shutter Speed.
The big issue I have often is that in picking up and putting down, or as I drive along with the camera sitting on a seat, this dial gets nudged, and when I go to film again the shutter speed is at 133 instead of 100 for example...
The button is badly placed and 'soft' to rotate seems to be the core issue, even though I have a SmallRig cage on it half protecting it.

Does anybody have any suggestions how I can avoid this please? I've 'ruined' a lot of shots by using the wrong shutter speed without noticing it until its too late...

1. Can the dial be disabled?
2. Assign the dial to something that isn't important (any suggestions as to what I could use?)
3. How to do number 1 or 2 please? (I have very poor internet where I am)

My biggest complaint with my Sonys ( a6300 and 6600) is how easily it is to accidentally change the aperture setting. ( I shoot mostly Av mode, photos, not much video).

Hi all,

I've enjoyed using my new A6700 over the last few days in a national park in Africa - in video mode 99% of the time.
I use Shutter Priority mode so that the Shutter speed is always locked at twice the frame rate, and the Aperture adjusts automatically etc

However, on the A6700 the dial on the top of the camera nearest the right hand side is then by default set to adjust the Shutter Speed.
The big issue I have often is that in picking up and putting down, or as I drive along with the camera sitting on a seat, this dial gets nudged, and when I go to film again the shutter speed is at 133 instead of 100 for example...
The button is badly placed and 'soft' to rotate seems to be the core issue, even though I have a SmallRig cage on it half protecting it.

Does anybody have any suggestions how I can avoid this please? I've 'ruined' a lot of shots by using the wrong shutter speed without noticing it until its too late...

1. Can the dial be disabled?
2. Assign the dial to something that isn't important (any suggestions as to what I could use?)
3. How to do number 1 or 2 please? (I have very poor internet where I am)
OK, I solved my own problem.
By default the front dial under the On/Off Switch and photo button is also set to change the shutter speed when in Video/Shutter Priority.
I kept accidentally turning it a notch when putting the camera down/moving it around etc as all of my shooting with it is hand held.
The dial on the top right is also set to Shutter Speed adjustment, but fairly sure I'm not bumping that one.

I disabled the front dial, and now I maintain a constant shutter speed in video mode :)

Back