confused of Eastbourne!!!

Chas

Newcomer
Followers
Following
I took this photo while waiting for a bus in Gildredge Road, the road in the image is Hyde Gardens I focused on the first building on the left hand side setting are as shown my query is I cannot understand how there is no fall off and if you focus in on the Natwest sign it is readable even though it is about 500
CEB07775.JPG
  • ILCE-7RM3A
  • FE 55mm F1.8 ZA
  • 55.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 50
feet away

Hi Chas,

Looking at the image you come into focus at approximately 18m from where you were standing to get this view. The image sharpness looks like it falls off from about 82 meters onward. That suggests that your actual focus distance was approx. 30meters, thats about the distance to the one way sign. The Nat West is about 205m from your shooting point. I don’t think what you are seeing is unusual.

Photo Pils is a great app and includes a depth of field calculator. You can also measure distances on google maps, that’s how i worked out approximately where you were when taking the shot, distance to your focas point and so on.

As you have this in the beginers section I would suggest finding a location where you can take a series of shots from 1 meter to 30 meters at 1 meter intervals with the same wide f1.8 setting. Looking at the results will give you a practical understanding of how focus sharpness falls off on objects that are distant.

There is a good article here with a depth of field calculator - https://shotkit.com/depth-of-field/

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Back