Birds Europeans any idea what these are?

iamdlewis

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
David Lewis
Country
United States
City/State
Delaware
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I am not 100% agreeing with what the "what bird is this" tools and my local bird experts really don't have much knowledge of birds on the mainland. Both of these were taken in Munich.

So I am pretty sure that this is some kind of Mallard Hybrid. It is the right size, has most of the right shapes and colors and Mallards don't seem to have standards on what other ducks they'll share nests with. There was also a female Mallard in the general area.
Mallard Hybrid - Munich - 07172023 - 02- DN.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS (SEL100400GM)
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 8000

This one I am pretty sure is a Graylag Canada Goose hybrid. This one seemed to be between the size of a Graylag and Canada, seems to mostly have the body color of a Canada but the bill/legs of a Graylag.
Graylag Canada Goose Hybrid - Munich - 07172023 - 01- DN.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS (SEL24105G)
  • 86.0 mm
  • ƒ/13
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 160

Yeah i looked in my european bird encyclopedia, and i cant find anything there, so i have to agree with you on the hybrid hypothesis. Im not a big mallard expert, but the second one has to be Canada x Greylag Goose.

The first is what I call a Jemima Muddleduck, the second is quite a common mix, and you have it right.

You are right on both your assumptions , mallard hybrid and Canada x Greylag hybrid

Back