Following
Name
Sandy
Country
United States
City/State
Astoria, Oregon
Last edited:
Yep. The big primes are great, IF you can earn a living shooting pro sports or wildlife (though it's not necessary for either), but for the general pubic, zooms these days are nearly as good, and are probably better than old old primes, thanks to advances in technology. I wouldn't trade my 200 600 for a fixed 600, too limiting, despite the fact I shoot at 600 most of the time, having that zoom option is invaluable at times. This is why I am looking at the Tamron 35 150 now. Such a great range as a walkaround.

Was a good read, when I was looking into lenses and brought the Sony 24-70 F4 Zeiss, many reviews were that it’s bad for the price but slightly better in image quality than the stock kit lens. (I got the lens at a remarkable price so I did alright).

However to the point, a couple of YouTube videos reviewing the stock kit lens did say that although it’s stock, the manufacture wouldn’t stick a crap lens on a good camera like the A7M3, it would show the perspective new comer to the brand either how bad or don’t care the lens is, or the latter how good the camera is and invest into the ecosystem.

As cameras become better over the years and years to come, the lenses have to rise with them and technologies for manufacturing such amazing lenses improve each year. What was stock today could easily be flagship G Master 10 years ago (Yeah it was an example).

The benefit of zoom vs prime, will always be debatable.

- Primes will always be sharper
- Zoomed will always be more convenient

Its not an argument for the beginner or professional, they know what is best for them and budget. It’s the semi-professionals and hobbyist who argue this because money can or cannot be thrown into the mix with ego, lack of common sense or all the gear and no idea wins.

If I had endless money, I wouldn’t buy the A9 or A1, it’s to complicated for me (yes it would be a show off near other photographers). I would pick Primes or G Master rated lenses over none standard where it’s proven by reviewers or DXO to be sharper for less. However I don’t have that luxury and very happy with what I have and what I pick going forward, grass will always be greener on the other side and as I grow older (mid 30s now), I realise none of them make me happier, better or stop being contempt (working on the contempt with age)

Last edited:
Back