Followers
Following
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Utah
Hi, my name is Jeff. I'm a hobbyist photographer, and I'm new to Sony and mirrorless cameras. I just bought an a7R IIIA, and a 24-105, and I'm really stoked.

A little background: My dad was a newspaper photographer in the 1960s and had many Pentax bodies and lenses, and my first SLR, a Christmas gift, was a Pentax ME Super back in 1986. Over the years, both he and I acquired more and more Pentax gear, and watched as the brand became a niche thing. But we both kept at it, and even rode the transition to digital with Pentax gear, even though they were late to the game, and their offerings were fewer than the big makers. A few years ago, I bought Pentax's first and only Full-Frame SLR, the K-1, so that I could use my best Pentax glass I kept from film days. For a long time, I've been wanting to break out and adopt a new system.

Recently my dad passed away, and he gave me some money before he died. I decided it was now time to take the plunge and go mirrorless. So here I am at age 55 about to start buying Sony glass, and wishing I could show my dad my new camera. I know he'd be as excited about it as I am.

I began doing astrophotography last year, and bought a Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer tracking mount. I'm really excited to see what my Sony can do.

Sorry for your loss, but welcome to the forum Jeff.

Welcome, you must have some good memories of sharing your hobby with your Dad.
He taught me how to develop film and print pictures in the dark room he built in our basement. He was a better photographer than me for sure.

Somehow there were too many point&shoots between film and my coming to Sony mirrorless about five years ago and it felt like re-learning "real-camera" photography from scratch. And... it still does! Even though the technology is taking care of so much more this time around.

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum Jeff and thanks for joining. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. It sounds like you made many wonderful memories together with your shared passion. My almost 4 year old kept on wanting to shoot at an airshow with my A1 on the weekend, so I might pass my old A6400 down to him wrapped in as much protection as possible! That way I might still get to take some photos myself :)

Welcome to the forum Jeff and thanks for joining. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. It sounds like you made many wonderful memories together with your shared passion. My almost 4 year old kept on wanting to shoot at an airshow with my A1 on the weekend, so I might pass my old A6400 down to him wrapped in as much protection as possible! That way I might still get to take some photos myself :)
Wow, an a6400 as a first camera. I believe my first was a Kodak 110 Instamatic.
:ROFLMAO:

Welcome. Your story is similar to mine, although my dad died over 25 years ago. He used Pentax gear going back to the mid ‘50’s. I bought a Pentax MX in 1979 when I was 18. I bought a Sony A7R5 before Christmas & I am loving it in the limited time I have had to use it. Having said that, I have also been using an RX100 MIII since 2015, which is a truely pocketable little camera. Something my dad always had also.

Looking forward to seeing some images with your new camera.

Hi, my name is Jeff. I'm a hobbyist photographer, and I'm new to Sony and mirrorless cameras. I just bought an a7R IIIA, and a 24-105, and I'm really stoked.

A little background: My dad was a newspaper photographer in the 1960s and had many Pentax bodies and lenses, and my first SLR, a Christmas gift, was a Pentax ME Super back in 1986. Over the years, both he and I acquired more and more Pentax gear, and watched as the brand became a niche thing. But we both kept at it, and even rode the transition to digital with Pentax gear, even though they were late to the game, and their offerings were fewer than the big makers. A few years ago, I bought Pentax's first and only Full-Frame SLR, the K-1, so that I could use my best Pentax glass I kept from film days. For a long time, I've been wanting to break out and adopt a new system.

Recently my dad passed away, and he gave me some money before he died. I decided it was now time to take the plunge and go mirrorless. So here I am at age 55 about to start buying Sony glass, and wishing I could show my dad my new camera. I know he'd be as excited about it as I am.

I began doing astrophotography last year, and bought a Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer tracking mount. I'm really excited to see what my Sony can do.
Hey Jeff, welcome to the group. Sounds like you had a great teacher and role model in your dad. It’s also great to be able to feel your dad’s presence through doing something you love. I’m very much looking forward to seeing your images. You must have some great clear skies in Utah so your Astrophotographs will be great to see. You also have some unique outstanding scenery in Utah, so again looking forward to seeing your shots.

Welcome. Your story is similar to mine, although my dad died over 25 years ago. He used Pentax gear going back to the mid ‘50’s. I bought a Pentax MX in 1979 when I was 18. I bought a Sony A7R5 before Christmas & I am loving it in the limited time I have had to use it. Having said that, I have also been using an RX100 MIII since 2015, which is a truely pocketable little camera. Something my dad always had also.

Looking forward to seeing some images with your new camera.
Ha. I also have an RX100 III I bought in 2018 for a trip to Florida. I even bought a waterproof housing so I could take it snorkeling with me at Dry Tortugas. I love that little camera.

Hey Jeff, welcome to the group. Sounds like you had a great teacher and role model in your dad. It’s also great to be able to feel your dad’s presence through doing something you love. I’m very much looking forward to seeing your images. You must have some great clear skies in Utah so your Astrophotographs will be great to see. You also have some unique outstanding scenery in Utah, so again looking forward to seeing your shots.
I have some real fun ones from last summer I shot with my Pentax K-1. I guess shots from another camera system really aren't posted here.

I have some real fun ones from last summer I shot with my Pentax K-1. I guess shots from another camera system really aren't posted here.
Jeff, we have a forum where you are welcome to post non-Sony images. Check it out in the Forums tab at the top of the page, it's called,

Non Sony Cameras & Mobile Forum​

As Ed said, feel free to post those other photos in this section:

Welcome to the Forum Jeff. Very sorry for your loss.

I am immediately envious of you because you live in a state that has to be, Photographer's Heaven! Please share your shots.

Back