Let's talk flash/speed lites

Janice

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Country
United States
As a rookie I'm looking to learn. Please educate me. 1. What's the difference between flash and a Speedlite? 2. Other than the ability to connect to other flashes, what are the main differences in speedlites in the Godox line-up? 3. Why would I want one over the other? Thanks in advance.

Speedlite is Canon's trade name for their flash units.

While I use two Godox TT350S Mini Thinklite TTL Flash for Sony units plus their XProS TTL Wireless Flash Trigger, I do not feel qualified to comment on the other Godox units.

One major advantage of wireless flash units is to allow moving the flashes off the camera for generally better and more versatile lighting. In this regard flashes that use radio wireless are better than infrared communication in terms of range and use in sunlight.

The XProS Trigger allows you to control all the settings on the flashes that are not on the camera. One minor drawback of the XProS Trigger is you can not mount a flash on top of it if you want a combination of on-camera and off-camera flashes. However, since one Godox TT350S can control the other off-camera Godox TT350S or similar Godox models, it is possible to just mount the flash on the camera and use it to control to off-camera flash(s). The advantage of the XProS Trigger is a larger LCD screen devoted to controlling the flashes in a reasonably easy to remember and use interface.

The two major categories of flash units are smaller portable battery powered units that can be mounted on the camera's hot shoe or used off camera versus the more powerful, larger, studio strobes intended for off-camera use only. Nowadays it is possible to have battery powered studio strobes.

Using the interface to control multiple strobes effectively takes some learning and practice. Also, do try using the strobes in manual mode for both learning their use and also because sometimes manual mode will be needed to achieve the lighting you want.

Last edited:
Speedlite is Canon's trade name for their flash units.

While I use two Godox TT350S Mini Thinklite TTL Flash for Sony units plus their XProS TTL Wireless Flash Trigger, I do not feel qualified to comment on the other Godox units.

One major advantage of wireless flash units is to allow moving the flashes off the camera for generally better and more versatile lighting. In this regard flashes that use radio wireless are better than infrared communication in terms of range and use in sunlight.

The XProS Trigger allows you to control all the settings on the flashes that are not on the camera. One minor drawback of the XProS Trigger is you can not mount a flash on top of it if you want a combination of on-camera and off-camera flashes. However, since one Godox TT350S can control the other off-camera Godox TT350S or similar Godox models, it is possible to just mount the flash on the camera and use it to control to off-camera flash(s). The advantage of the XProS Trigger is a largeer LCD screen devoted to controlling the flashes in a reasonably easy to remember and use interface.

The two major categories of flash units are smaller portable battery powered units that can be mounted on the camera's hot shoe or used off camera versus the more powerful, larger, studio strobes intended for off-camera use only. Nowadays it is possible to have battery powered studio strobes.

Using the interface to control multiple strobes effectively takes some learning and practice. Also, do try using the strobes in manual mode for both learning their use and also because sometimes manual mode will be needed to achieve the lighting you want.

Thank you for your comments. I have learned a LOT from you! Appreciate it very much.

Back