Landscape Lightning from Matlacha FL USA

TheFloridaShooter

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Lightning South of Matlacha - This image was taken on July 15, 2024 as the storm passed south of Matlacha. Camera: Sony a7Riva Matlacha, FL
DSC00759-Enhanced-NR-Edit-2.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4A
  • FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 2.5 sec
  • ISO 100

Superb image! Did you use the interval timer for this? And how did you focus? Manual to infinity? 👏

Well done! Unlike a lot of lightning photos I see, that's a pretty good composition I reckon.

Superb image! Did you use the interval timer for this? And how did you focus? Manual to infinity? 👏
Manual focus, if you're lucky you'll have a light of some sort off in the distance. Focus on that!

Lightning South of Matlacha - This image was taken on July 15, 2024 as the storm passed south of Matlacha. Camera: Sony a7Riva Matlacha, FL View attachment 64113
That is a superb image. The sky, reflections in the water and the illumination on the trees are great, not to mention the awesome lighting bolt you captured. I'd like to know how you take these type of images? At 2.5 s exposure, I'm guessing you are waiting for some tell tale sign, shoot and hope for the best. But how did you come up with a 2.5 s exposure, was that trial and error? Or did you get a feel for how long the lighting bolts were visible for from watching the storm font and dialed up the exposure. Presumably your camera was on a tripod, how did you trigger the exposure, did you do that manually (presumably you can include a delay in the exposure) or did you have some kind of remote? Once again, great image man.

That is a superb image. The sky, reflections in the water and the illumination on the trees are great, not to mention the awesome lighting bolt you captured. I'd like to know how you take these type of images? At 2.5 s exposure, I'm guessing you are waiting for some tell tale sign, shoot and hope for the best. But how did you come up with a 2.5 s exposure, was that trial and error? Or did you get a feel for how long the lighting bolts were visible for from watching the storm font and dialed up the exposure. Presumably your camera was on a tripod, how did you trigger the exposure, did you do that manually (presumably you can include a delay in the exposure) or did you have some kind of remote? Once again, great image man.
Ed, If you have whatsapp I'll gladly explain how I shoot lightning. I would take me hours to write everything out.

Cracking shot!

Manual focus, if you're lucky you'll have a light of some sort off in the distance. Focus on that!

Thank you sir! Oh and i just followed your instagram account, recognized the lightning image :LOL: Amazing page and shots!

Back