2Silvereye 6-r.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 4000

What a pretty bird.

I know it's a big country, but if I wanted to score the most Australian birds in, say a week, where should I head?

I'm not planning on visiting Australia for a week, but I have a friend I need to call in on in Melbourne.

What a pretty bird.

I know it's a big country, but if I wanted to score the most Australian birds in, say a week, where should I head?

I'm not planning on visiting Australia for a week, but I have a friend I need to call in on in Melbourne.
That’s a hard one. @Slug & @Ralph certainly seem to be in good areas for birds. There are certainly a few around here but because it’s a relatively big city, you really have to look around the outskirts to find the nice ones. There are some species that have become so well adapted to the urban environment that they have pushed a lot of others out, which is a pity. I have been doing a bit of research before my trip in a few months & found a good YouTube channel. I’ll put up a link.

BTW, nice photo of a lovely bird. I guess those rolled up dried leaves have spiders or something in them.

What a pretty bird.

Very difficult to answer as you say it's a very big country. I'm in Tasmania and birding can be quite seasonal here as many species migrate between Tas. and the mainland over spring, summer and autumn. Winter is generally pretty quiet and the residents tend to bunker down in the cooler weather. Ralph is in Victoria and his recommendations may suit you better.
My personal favorite spots in Aussie are Lord Howe Island, (400 km to sea off the coast of New South Wales), and O'Rielly's in the Hinterland of Queensland West of the Gold Coast area.

That’s a hard one. @Slug & @Ralph certainly seem to be in good areas for birds. There are certainly a few around here but because it’s a relatively big city, you really have to look around the outskirts to find the nice ones. There are some species that have become so well adapted to the urban environment that they have pushed a lot of others out, which is a pity. I have been doing a bit of research before my trip in a few months & found a good YouTube channel. I’ll put up a link.

BTW, nice photo of a lovely bird. I guess those rolled up dried leaves have spiders or something in them.
Yes the leaves have juicy bugs rolled up in them!

Make sure to let us know if/when you’re coming over!

I think the Mildura area has I think around 160 different types of birds here and then in Summer the number get a boost.
We have got a new Lorikeet here which has not been here in over 30 years. So it is new to the area and it is the Musk Lorikeet.
We may have also gained the Purple Crowned Lorikeet.
My best advice is to get eBirds Australia and go through that as in the area's you are heading to.
It is suppose to be good as in showing area where the birds are with the dates that a bird was recorded there.
So this is what I would seriously look for.

We get musk lorikeets in the southern suburbs of Adelaide. 10 or 15 km further south than where I live.

Back