Name
Uncle Kev 😆
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Ormesby St Margaret
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I had the Macro out with me today, and happened across this extremely ugly critter! It's a Large Alder Sawfly, and while they can be found all over the UK, as in in any terrain with Alders, they are actually pretty rare, and seldom seen. A nice find at least, but it looks like a giant ant on a hornets body. I'm quite sure if it nipped you it would hurt, but I'm not testing that theory any time soon :D BTW, I am aware that the second image is not fully in focus, despite the DOF.

DSC05776 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/18
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 125
DSC05782 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/18
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 125

It is a strange looking beast. It's always nice to find something that isn't all that common. Do you ever use focus stacking @Uncle Kevriano?

It is a strange looking beast. It's always nice to find something that isn't all that common. Do you ever use focus stacking @Uncle Kevriano?
No, I have never tried stacking. I don't have the suitable equipment or patience, but also, I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to this kind of thing. I'd rather try and get the very best out of traditional techniques than faff about with rails and incremental focus stacks. I admire those who do, and the results can be incredible, but you also need your subject to be dead still!

That’s fair enough. You have certainly done a great job with these!

That’s fair enough. You have certainly done a great job with these!
Thanks. The second shot could be better but I didn't have a tripod with me and it was only about 6 inches from the ground, so challenging!

Back