Perseids Meteor Shower & Aurora at Barns Ness Lighthouse last night.

BrianN

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
Brian Nicholson
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Penicuik, Midlothian
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Hi everyone,
This is my final image that took some time to sort through 308 images to end up with 9 meteors and the amazing light of the aurora, also the light source on Barns Ness Lighthouse is from Torness Nuclear Power Station out of the frame.
It was a truly remarkable experience as I hadn't considered any sight of the aurora as my main intention was for the perseids meteor shower , a double bonus from natures night sky.
🙂

You can also see pleiades cluster just above the lighthouse and Jupiter and Mars to the left of it.

20240813-_DSC7099-Enhanced-NR-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 24-50mm F2.8 G
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 20 sec
  • ISO 800

Wow! Great shot. Well done!

Hi everyone,
This is my final image that took some time to sort through 308 images to end up with 9 meteors and the amazing light of the aurora, also the light source on Barns Ness Lighthouse is from Torness Nuclear Power Station out of the frame.
It was a truly remarkable experience as I hadn't considered any sight of the aurora as my main intention was for the perseids meteor shower , a double bonus from natures night sky.
🙂

You can also see pleiades cluster just above the lighthouse and Jupiter and Mars to the left of it.

View attachment 65396
Fantastic shot Brian, what a bonus to get the aurora too. Is this just a single frame or did you stack several? Did you use a tripod?

Thanks a lot 😊
Fantastic shot Brian, what a bonus to get the aurora too. Is this just a single frame or did you stack several? Did you use a tripod?
Thanks a lot.....yeah out of 309 exposure's I had an additional 8 or 9 frames with meteors in them....ohh yeah I did use a tripod, it's absolutely necessary.

Thanks a lot 😊

Thanks a lot.....yeah out of 309 exposure's I had an additional 8 or 9 frames with meteors in them....ohh yeah I did use a tripod, it's absolutely necessary.
Thanks Brian, so your posted image is a stack of 8 images? How many meteors did you have per image in the stack? Was it typically one or more than one?

Thanks Brian, so your posted image is a stack of 8 images? How many meteors did you have per image in the stack? Was it typically one or more than one?
It's 9 images....1 base for the aurora and eight separate exposures for the meteor, it's unlikely to get two in one exposure.

It's 9 images....1 base for the aurora and eight separate exposures for the meteor, it's unlikely to get two in one exposure.
How do you do the stacking?

Back