Name
Richard Allan
Country
Australia
City/State
Adelaide, South Australia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Just wondering if anyone is using or has used a "Power Bank" to power their camera? I bought one very cheaply recently and thought it would be good to power my camera when I'm taking a lot of shots in a row for making my timelapse videos.

The catch is that a cheap one might only supply the default USB power (5V at half an amp, I think, although it can go up to 5V at 3A) which isn't enough to supply all the power the camera needs, so the battery in the camera will still drain, just a bit more slowly.

You'll need a power bank that supports "Power Delivery", which means it will have to be USB-C (USB-A and USB-B do not support PD), going into a camera's USB-C port on a camera which also supports Power Delivery. I don't know which of the cameras with USB-C support PD, nor which PD profiles they support. The PD tech supports higher voltages and higher currents (up to 20V at 5 amps for 100W PD). I wouldn't be surprised if the camera requested 12V PD (the battery supplies 7.2V, after all).

I would expect a PC power bank to cost more because it has to have the current negotiation circuitry, and voltage conversion as well.

The power bank I got is not a cheap one - I just got it at a big discount. It supports 5V3A and 9V2A. It does have USB C, USB A and Micro USB. It also has wireless charging for phones. Unfortunately, for the intended use I was thing of, the Foolograpy Unleased, which I use to control the camera for the timelapse, also needs to be plugged into the USB C port! Oh well...

The power bank I got is not a cheap one - I just got it at a big discount. It supports 5V3A and 9V2A. It does have USB C, USB A and Micro USB. It also has wireless charging for phones. Unfortunately, for the intended use I was thing of, the Foolograpy Unleased, which I use to control the camera for the timelapse, also needs to be plugged into the USB C port! Oh well...
Apologies - I misinterpreted your OP. I remember reading a long thread on another site discussing power banks for timelapse photography, and the issues with simpler powerbanks - clearly you've avoided that problem (and got a big discount, too!)

Good that it can do what you want in terms of powering the camera, but yes, it will have to do it through the USB-C port.

I believe another camera brand has fitted two USB-C ports to one of their cameras to address that need.

Any chance that the device you will be plugging in can provide power in pass-through?

Back