Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Etienne Steenkamp
Country
South Africa
I always wonder what other people do to display their photos: framed prints, canvas prints, photo books?

A friend gave me the idea to have one of my favourite photos from our Botswana photo safari printed as wall paper for our lounge. Very pleased with the result.

The original photo:

A1_00510.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 2500

And the result:

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-27 at 12.36.56.jpeg

That looks quite impressive Etienne!

In general, I want to print more of my pictures. My actual goal of photography is to take pictures that are "worthy" of being printed and displayed in my house.
  • I have printed a few pictures on canvas, but I did not like the results. Canvas is fine if you're looking at it from a distance, but up close it seems like a lower resolution reproduction of the original file.
  • I am looking at options for online printers and local print shops to print more photos. Unfortunately, to make the print a complete package, I would probably use a matte border and select framing and then the simple act of printing becomes expensive very quickly.
  • I am also interested in printing on metal for a few select photos. I like the novelty of it, and I might do one as a "test run".

In general, I want to print more of my pictures. My actual goal of photography is to take pictures that are "worthy" of being printed and displayed in my house.
  • I have printed a few pictures on canvas, but I did not like the results. Canvas is fine if you're looking at it from a distance, but up close it seems like a lower resolution reproduction of the original file.
  • I am looking at options for online printers and local print shops to print more photos. Unfortunately, to make the print a complete package, I would probably use a matte border and select framing and then the simple act of printing becomes expensive very quickly.
  • I am also interested in printing on metal for a few select photos. I like the novelty of it, and I might do one as a "test run".
Check into Nations Photo.

I always wonder what other people do to display their photos: framed prints, canvas prints, photo books?

A friend gave me the idea to have one of my favourite photos from our Botswana photo safari printed as wall paper for our lounge. Very pleased with the result.

The original photo:

View attachment 47478

And the result:

View attachment 47480

That's pretty amazing.

I have yet to check how and where to get decent prints done...

That's impressive mate. Huge! 👏

I have a place that prints and frames images in Melbourne, and I get a local place to do canvases. I don't really get them for my place though, I only have one on the wall in my music room.

Stunning piece of wall art.

In answer to your question I have done as follows.

1. Print and frame is the best and it really showcases your photography....I have had an exhibition and to see all framed and hung up is great...I also recently got an aluminium print done by Saal digital and I really like it.

2. I have made two blurb photo books and these are also a great way to see your images rather than on a hard drive.

3 . For online I use Behance that comes with my Adobe subscription and this is a good way to document a project or anything you wish to do, you can either keep for your own viewing or can share.

My house is full of my own work and it's nice to see them hanging up.

Thanks for all the responses and comments.

So it seems like print and frame, although expensive, is still the best for showcasing. I still think canvas has its place, not all photos have to be displayed at best resolution, it just depends where you want to display it and what effect you want to create. I would certainly like to reach the point where my house is also full of my own photos.

And perhaps I must also make a bit more use of photo books, certainly a nicer way to show images to friends and family than always pulling out the laptop or iPad.

I have very few printed images at home. I have several in my office. The majority of my printing is for others, some large size 16 x 20 +, but the majority are 8 x 10.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Canon Pixma G620 (650 in the UK, 660 in Europe) printer so I can do the 8 x 10 and smaller myself at home instead of charging shipping or making them wait. This is a tank printer, ridiculously inexpensive to operate, a 4 x 6 image cost $0.025 to print for the ink, one refill ($90) will print 3,600 4 x 6 images or about 1,000 8 x 10.

I've done photo books before, they're ok but end up on a shelf with the other books. I think of them more as gifts than personal items.

I thought I would bump this old thread to ask how many members are printing their photos?
I recently went to a neighbor's house and saw that she had printed a picture I took of her and her daughter. The pride I felt to say, "Hey, I took that photo!" has kind of re-kindled an interest in printing more photos. Maybe its hubris, but I guess if I never print my photos, I might be missing out.

I print the odd photo. I have an old Epson 2880 but it still works really well. Unfortunately, it's getting difficult to get ink for it now. Recently I have mainly been printing B&W which it does a really good job of. I recently bought a couple of boxes of Ilford Gallerie paper. I'm seriously thinking about maybe getting one of the new Canon Pro 1100 A2 printers. Main problem is finding space for it.

I used to print a lot of photos up to 2020 when my printer died. I did replace it, but then the lockdown happened and we became homebodies and most of my pictures were just of things around the house. I did replace the printer at that time, but it sat unused until now. Since getting my new camera a couple of months ago, I have fired up the printer again. I was surprised that the print heads weren't clogged. I haven't printed out much, mostly a few of our pets and some family. I found that the Dollar Store is a good source of cheap frames.

I have done some photo books of special trips/occasions in the past, and have had some prints made of photo's that I particularly liked. Last year we needed to replace our old printer, and I looked at dedicated photo printers, but decided that they were too expensive for too little benefit for me. I ended up getting an Epson ET8550. For me it struck the right balance between being simple for other family members to use, and giving higher than average print quality.
Since getting the printer I've been printing a few A4 & A3 size prints each month. Some have been given to family, or friends, and some are hanging on our walls. After a few months on display I usually rotate the photo's to fresh ones. I'm yet to do a panorama print but will give it a go once I have a shot, and the materials to try.

Where do you get the photo books done? I’d like to give that a try sometime.

I thought I would bump this old thread to ask how many members are printing their photos?
I recently went to a neighbor's house and saw that she had printed a picture I took of her and her daughter. The pride I felt to say, "Hey, I took that photo!" has kind of re-kindled an interest in printing more photos. Maybe its hubris, but I guess if I never print my photos, I might be missing out.
I have experimented with printing on various media, including wallpaper (my original post in this thread), canvas, different types/quality paper, metal and acrylic/perspex, all of these done through reputable printing labs. I have also had a few photobooks made. So, a few observations:

1. This is an expensive game, the most expensive being the wallpaper and the framing of prints made on art paper, but these also give the most pleasing results.
2. Canvas is, in my opinion, the most cost effective way for large prints. Yes, the resolution may not be that great, but the point is that you should print large enough that the viewer is forced to stand far away where the resolution doesn't matter, only the "bigger picture"
3. Photobooks are great for specific themes, like a trip you did or family photos, but have little value to display your photography in general
4. I have been a bit disappointed with metal as a printing medium. Only one of the photos I had printed on metal came out as I envisaged, so you have to choose very carefully
5. Acrylic/Perspex can give good results if you choose the right photos, but can look tacky if you choose wrong.

But, do go ahead and print more, I certainly will continue printing my photos. That said, I don't spend money on buying art and have no art on my house's walls other than my own photos.

@etiennescamera that's good info mate. I'm surprised that printing on metal was so disappointing, I have wanted to try it for a while but the cost was a bit high to experiment.

Adorama has a print service, and they do a great job. I always get their Circlee paper. Mpix is another good one. I use them both.

@etiennescamera that's good info mate. I'm surprised that printing on metal was so disappointing, I have wanted to try it for a while but the cost was a bit high to experiment.
There are various types of metal prints and like any printing not all print types are going to work for all image types. I have at this time about 50 metal prints, the vast majority being 8'x6' that I use to line my stairwells. Of all the metal prints that I have had done I would say that ones with the more "artistic" printing options have been the ones that have had the greatest chance to not be as imagined. There are also significant difference between print houses and some are not worth using.

VistaPrint, Snapfish and Shutterfly are all not worth using. I just got a large metal print from Shutterfly (was given a giftcard) just this week and it has issues. First it says it should be like a Direct Print On Aluminum Dibond but it is nothing like that style I have gotten from other print houses and it also has a few printing errors.

For the US I would suggest Artbeats Studios for smaller prints. For large prints and anything I would get with a frame (for anywhere in the world) I cannot praise Whitewall any higher. I stopped using Whitewall for my smaller metal prints because after the tariffs on metal the prices are too high for the use of the images and Artbeats does a great job. One of the best things about both of these printshops is that you can customize the size of the print and you are not limited to whatever strange sizes are called "standard".

I have seen great prints from Mpix and BayPhoto and heard good things about Nevada Art Printers and New Mexico Fin Art.

The two printing options I use most are:
Direct Print On Aluminum Dibond - Good for small prints in which high detail is not needed. Generally these at matte finished so reflections will not be an issue.
HD/ultraHD Photo Print On Aluminum Dibond (or anything called "HD" prints) - These I use for images I want the high detail on. These are all glossy finished so reflections need to be considered when hanging.

Where things get tricky:
Brushed Aluminum - This can give and amazing effect as basically whites are not printed and you are left with the naked metal.
Sheer - These have a semi transparent look for some of the lighter colors meaning you can get some of the metal to kind of shine through.
Silver Gloss - This is kind of like Sheer but it is more like you replace the whites for a silver.

I have a brushed aluminum print that looks great as the effect is only on a couple spots. I have a Silver Gloss one that looks great and another that I thought would look awesome that was a complete disappointment (got a small test print so not that much of a hit).

Also I have color calibrated my screen and I would say that the prints I get from Whitewall, Artbeats and Amazon (small paper and yearly calendars) match up to what I seen on the screen or are at least close enough that I can't really make out any differences.

The original photo:

View attachment 47478

And the result:

View attachment 47480
Great looking photo ..how much did it cost ?

Back