Birds Red Kite feeding Gigrin farm April 24

Unframed Dave

Veteran Member
Followers
Following
Name
Dave
Unfortunately our visit to Wales coincided with some very dull overcast weather. I still managed to fire off over 5,000 shots in a little over 2 hours.

This was a very intense event, there was an estimated 300 birds literally dropping out of the sky for the feed. Keeping up with the action was a huge strain on my feeble noggin.

I would definitely go back again and try a hide with a less busy background.

DSC08633a.JPG
  • ILCE-1
  • ISO 1600
DSC08822a.JPG
  • ILCE-1
  • ISO 1600
DSC08963a.JPG
  • ILCE-1
  • ISO 1600
DSC09236a.JPG
  • ILCE-1
  • ISO 3200
DSC09241a.JPG
  • ILCE-1
  • ISO 3200
DSC09483a.JPG
  • ILCE-1
  • ISO 3200
DSC09665a.JPG
  • ILCE-1
  • ISO 3200
DSC09765b.JPG
  • ILCE-1
  • ISO 3200

I found that the best way was to follow one bird around till it came down for food otherwise you end up with a headache chasing them through the vf.

Nice shots Dave. Gigrin is only about an hours drive from us but I've only visited once. I find the hides a little restrictive when it comes to shooting and following the birds so I prefer to drive a little further to Bwlch Nant yr Arian where they also feed the kites once a day and again you'll see hundreds of them. Some nice walks there too and cake :)

Nice shots Dave. Gigrin is only about an hours drive from us but I've only visited once. I find the hides a little restrictive when it comes to shooting and following the birds so I prefer to drive a little further to Bwlch Nant yr Arian where they also feed the kites once a day and again you'll see hundreds of them. Some nice walks there too and cake :)
Thanks Tim, I'll give you a shout next time we're in that neck of the woods.

Wonderful pics!

Nice. I've always been put off of going, just because it's a kind of "shooting fish in a barrel" set up. I'd rather go to Watlington Hill.

I'll check it out.
It's just off of the M4. We went a couple of times before we moved, and it's unique because the birds fly by at eye level. If you take fresh chicken to throw for them they get very very close!

Back