Name
Uncle Kev 😆
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Ormesby St Margaret
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Is anybody using a ring flash or dual flash set up for Macro photography? Just curious on which model if so, and if you like the results.

Ring flash works well for even lighting, but it will produce a weird looking circular catchlight on anything reflective. For that reason I like using separate flashes, frequently with diffusers.
Thanks, this is something I have seen, and it does put me off. Have you also used LED lighting or similar, rather than or in addition to flash?

Thanks, this is something I have seen, and it does put me off. Have you also used LED lighting or similar, rather than or in addition to flash?

I've never used LED, mainly because I have strobes.

I have two LED lights but only use them for static subjects. I find strobes more useful in the field since I can freeze the action better.
Even though I have a Wimberley macro flash bracket system, I more often seem to use my arm to cradle the lens and have my hand holding the wireless strobe.

Last edited:
I have two LED lights but only use them for static subjects. I find strobes more useful in the field since I can freeze the action better.
Even though I have a Wimberley macro flash bracket system, I more often seem to use my arm to cradle the lens and have my hand holding the wireless strobe.

Thanks, interesting.

Back