Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Mildura
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I had to have another fella show me how to get out to the area where these are (70kilometers from home).
Had to go into 4x4 as well which will protect them a little, as once known where they are, people will flock to the area.
And these as close to endangered in our area so it will not be told by me where they are.
This is a Lister but in the bird world they call a new bird a Lifer but I hate that word as it sounds like something criminal.
So I was pleased to get this little bird for the 1st time.
The O Pit 14-08-2024 (457).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports 021
  • 431.7 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 500
The O Pit 14-08-2024 (468).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 431.7 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 500
The O Pit 14-08-2024 (482).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 431.7 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 500
The O Pit 14-08-2024 (502).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 431.7 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 500
The O Pit 14-08-2024 (583).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 500
The O Pit 14-08-2024 (608).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 500
The O Pit 14-08-2024 (673).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 500

Fantastic shots Ralph.

I had to have another fella show me how to get out to the area where these are (70kilometers from home).
Had to go into 4x4 as well which will protect them a little, as once known where they are, people will flock to the area.
And these as close to endangered in our area so it will not be told by me where they are.
This is a Lister but in the bird world they call a new bird a Lifer but I hate that word as it sounds like something criminal.
So I was pleased to get this little bird for the 1st time.View attachment 65460View attachment 65461View attachment 65462View attachment 65463View attachment 65464View attachment 65465View attachment 65466
Great shots Ralph, my favourites are number 3 and the last one.

More great pics @Ralph. Keep the location of these little beauties a secret.

Just thought I’d add another comment - isn’t it great how people have their favourites from such a fantastic collection of photos of the same subject. I have to say that my favourite is the second one. The exposure is spot on & the rim lighting is perfect.

Last edited:
More great pics @Ralph. Keep the location of these little beauties a secret.

Just thought I’d add another comment - isn’t it great how people have their favourites from such a fantastic collection of photos of the same subject. I have to say that my favourite is the second one. The exposure is spot on & the rim lighting is perfect.
Thanks for that and I think the 1st couple is down to my bad work in editing. I am not the best at this part and I need to get it far better than I am not. Though I do get one or 2 right here and there.
The old fella that took me out there would not give me direction to them I had to take him out there so he had another chance at getting them. But I didn't care as I got them and he swore me to secrecy on their location. One woman in our local group asked and I sent the like 50 mile in the wrong direction.
Now why I done this is because her and her friend and the mouths of the club any new bird they will pin point it to the enth degree. And then the club members would be out there in droves. So the less you tell them the better off for them to breed which is what is going on.
Do I feel guilty ? Answer = Not a chance in hell do I.
You see once a new bird here is found they are close enough run out of town as they just can't settle and people just don't care.

Good on you...

The old fella that took me out there would not give me direction to them I had to take him out there so he had another chance at getting them. But I didn't care as I got them and he swore me to secrecy on their location. One woman in our local group asked and I sent the like 50 mile in the wrong direction.
Now why I done this is because her and her friend and the mouths of the club any new bird they will pin point it to the enth degree.

I have a friend in England who gets privileged information on rare birds, nesting sites, etc. I understand the need to protect the creatures and I simply wouldn't ask. And if I did, I would expect her to refuse. And she is my best-friend-in-law: we have been close for decades.

Your club lady should have known better than to ask!

I have a friend in England who gets privileged information on rare birds, nesting sites, etc. I understand the need to protect the creatures and I simply wouldn't ask. And if I did, I would expect her to refuse. And she is my best-friend-in-law: we have been close for decades.

Your club lady should have known better than to ask!
You have got a great relationship going and that really helps.
This woman is after 1st and foremost getting the numbers of new birds and this is all that matters to her.
She will hours from our hometown in the effort to get new birds. This should give you a little better understanding of her.

This should give you a little better understanding of her.
Yep. I don't really know any serious list keepers!

My friend just grew into being a naturalist through walks with a camera and has become respected on the local dragonflies, birds and more. If she contributes to any lists, it will to the local societies for monitoring the wildlife. She's no twitcher --- which, iirc, is what they call the folks who gather in droves at the slightest rumour of something new or rare, in England.

(And her first landscape to be published was taken on a plastic camera with no settings at all :) )

Back