Followers
Following
Name
Anthony
Country
United Kingdom
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
So i am looking at adding a second body t compliment my A7riii. I have no intention to replace this camera as i really enjoy the out put from it and it largely suits all my needs.

In the main I have 2.8 zooms for it and i recently added the 50-400 Tamron for wildlife. However there are some use cases where the A7r doesn't quite suit my needs.

Firstly i like to have a camera lighter weight camera i can sling in my bag for work days where i go for a short walk most days in woodland. A small prime does the trick, but something smaller and lighter would be nice.

Second is travel, I recently took a trip away for a week and took an RX100 with me. I enjoyed the freedom that the little camera afforded me not being encumbered by weight etc, but also the screen being able to go upright to take selfies was nice. I didnt especially enjoy using it and have possibly got a bit spoilt with the output of the A7r so that's not a camera for me.

Third reason is it would nice to when sing the 50-400 to have a second body with a different lens of for maybe lower light situations . The 50-400 covers a lot and seems good but having a second body with maybe a faster prime on could well be useful.

I have no interest in video so having great video specs isnt of interest , id o prefer a camera with IBIS rules out camera such as the a6400 or older A7 bodies ad also i much prefer the Z battery and dont really want to have to charge up and mange a second set of batteries.

I was fairly convinced that a used a7c maybe the way to go but Sony have a deal on the A6700 which means for £150 more I could get a brand new A6700. It seems bit overkill for a second camera as it has soe very nice specs. My lenses wouldnt necessary be ideally suited to APSC given their focal lengths but not a problem that couldn't be overcome. That did leave to me to thinking that as it is a second cam maybe the A6600 would sit nicely and save a bit more money as i cold again get one used.

Sorry for the long post but thought i would give as much detail as possible.

Any thoughts?

Solution
I am have been thinking along the same lines. I have the A7RV and would like to pair it up with something smaller and lightweight. I was looking at the A7C II. I believe it is full frame and I will be able to share all my lenses with it. If I am not mistaken, it may use the same battery as my A7RV. I also want to less MP than my A7RV that I can use for some astrophotography and night time time lapses.
So i received an A7c today. Found a good deal on an open box with a shutter count of less than 50. Will not get much time to test it properly until the weekend but so far i like it. For me when i factor in the additional cost for the A6700 and the fact my lenses didn't really suit the crop sensor so i would have needed at...
Yeah, having some better specs in your 2nd body may be slightly strange so the 6600 or A7C options seem more reasonable. With the 6600 you will need new lenses but apsc lenses are usually lighter and cheaper so than can fit your need about a lighter kit for walkabout or travel.

Yeah, having some better specs in your 2nd body may be slightly strange so the 6600 or A7C options seem more reasonable. With the 6600 you will need new lenses but apsc lenses are usually lighter and cheaper so than can fit your need about a lighter kit for walkabout or travel.
That is sort of my feeling i have a selection of primes Sigma 17 & 90 plus the Sony 50mm so im thinking if I add a 35mm that would give me a nice set of lenss for the APSC camera if i went for the A6600 i could use the saved cash to get the lens.

If you're anywhere near Norfolk, I can let you have a play with the 6600 and a7c. I have both here.

If weight is your main priority, the 6600 and a light apsc lens would make sense.

The big old sensor on the a7c is great for cropping if you're using a long telephoto though.

Neither have great evfs.

If you're anywhere near Norfolk, I can let you have a play with the 6600 and a7c. I have both here.

If weight is your main priority, the 6600 and a light apsc lens would make sense.

The big old sensor on the a7c is great for cropping if you're using a long telephoto though.

Neither have great evfs.
Thank you for the offer a bit far away . Where I see this being used is more for small and light, having said that neither are heavy and with primes that helps. Thank you for your thoughts.

I bought an A6700 - it’s definitely small and light, and of the cameras you listed it’s the only one with the latest AF.

If you can get it for a modest premium, I’d go for it.

I am have been thinking along the same lines. I have the A7RV and would like to pair it up with something smaller and lightweight. I was looking at the A7C II. I believe it is full frame and I will be able to share all my lenses with it. If I am not mistaken, it may use the same battery as my A7RV. I also want less MP than my A7RV that I can use for some astrophotography and night time time lapses.

Last edited:
I am have been thinking along the same lines. I have the A7RV and would like to pair it up with something smaller and lightweight. I was looking at the A7C II. I believe it is full frame and I will be able to share all my lenses with it. If I am not mistaken, it may use the same battery as my A7RV. I also want to less MP than my A7RV that I can use for some astrophotography and night time time lapses.
So i received an A7c today. Found a good deal on an open box with a shutter count of less than 50. Will not get much time to test it properly until the weekend but so far i like it. For me when i factor in the additional cost for the A6700 and the fact my lenses didn't really suit the crop sensor so i would have needed at least one or two more the A7c made more sense. This will only be travel / lightweight carry round so didn't need to do more the my A7riii. Time will tell if i made the right choice lol .

Solution
Sorry I missed the thread, sounds like you made the best decision for your budget.
I would only have added support for the A6600 or A6700 and said that your full frame lenses would have worked fine on them but with a 1.6x magnification/crop, but I understand what you meant about suitability (size). I think the current sweet spot for portability and capability in the APSC world would probably be an A6600/6700 with a Sigma 18-50mm f2.8... but there it is again, you would have needed to buy another lens.

Sorry I missed the thread, sounds like you made the best decision for your budget.
I would only have added support for the A6600 or A6700 and said that your full frame lenses would have worked fine on them but with a 1.6x magnification/crop, but I understand what you meant about suitability (size). I think the current sweet spot for portability and capability in the APSC world would probably be an A6600/6700 with a Sigma 18-50mm f2.8... but there it is again, you would have needed to buy another lens.
Thanks for your reply. Yes im pretty sure the majority of people would have gone down the route of the APSC camera. For me I just felt the A7c was the right way to go. I added my comments and thoughts so others who may view this thread in future can see what i did and the reasons why. I always find it frustrating when you read threads and never knew what happened lol.

Back