so the issue with shooting raw is at some point you have to edit! polar games most new

spudhead

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
so editing again down side of raw shooting a few from 2021
polar getting air.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • Sony FE 200–600mm F5.6–6.3 G OSS (SEL200600G)
  • 529.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 800
I have got this.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • Sony FE 200–600 mm F5.6–6.3 G OSS (SEL200600G) + 1.4X Teleconverter (SEL14TC)
  • 840.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 800
no I have not.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • 840.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 800
polar antics.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • 840.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 1000
lift off.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • 529.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 640
race you.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 1250
this is going to hurt.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • 529.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 800
head long.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • 840.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 1000

Great stuff. Editing. I'm actually all caught up as I haven't been out much this month :)

Thanks for comments and I do not think I will ever catch up with editing I have thousands of images that need looking at as I took the view when returning to photography That I needed to learn most things again and simply just took a quick look at images to see what I was doing right or wrong. now I am trying to edit which for a non tech person is slow. thanks to all who look hopefully I will find time to get out and about shooting soon.

Thanks for comments and I do not think I will ever catch up with editing I have thousands of images that need looking at as I took the view when returning to photography That I needed to learn most things again and simply just took a quick look at images to see what I was doing right or wrong. now I am trying to edit which for a non tech person is slow. thanks to all who look hopefully I will find time to get out and about shooting soon.
I recently had a day where I shot 268 images. For me, that's a huge day. I had never come close to that as fare as the number of images shot. I have developed a habit of taking care of the images the same day as they were shot. I was not able to do this for this shoot, but I did get back to it on the next day. For me, I need to handle my shots this way and get them done quickly. If not, I can see how once you were behind, catching up would be a big problem. I actually have not given thought to being behind on image editing. I enjoy the editing and learn from it. After reading your comments here, I have made a promise to myself to take care of my images quickly.

I recently had a day where I shot 268 images. For me, that's a huge day. I had never come close to that as fare as the number of images shot. I have developed a habit of taking care of the images the same day as they were shot. I was not able to do this for this shoot, but I did get back to it on the next day. For me, I need to handle my shots this way and get them done quickly. If not, I can see how once you were behind, catching up would be a big problem. I actually have not given thought to being behind on image editing. I enjoy the editing and learn from it. After reading your comments here, I have made a promise to myself to take care of my images quickly.
Yes 260 shots would be a lot for me in any day its only recently I started shooting in bursts and that is only ever low range, if I shoot 150 that is a lot for me. I have sort of moved through camera bodies and lenses like crazy and tried a few editing products and finally settled on c1 because its just easier for me, I know a lot of the other products out there people really like but I have gotten bogged down with them and as I said editing has come second to getting my head around digital photography which give us all so much scope when I compare it to where I started with 24 and 36 shots and not knowing until they were developed what I had, digital seems like cheating sometimes Gary

Editing is part of the process, and in fact can be therapeutic. You put your mind on something specific and let the cares of the day diminish to the background while your mind focuses on the finished product.

I have a system similar to @Jeff A when it comes to getting at it as soon as possible. When I shoot at the drag strip coming home with somewhere between 1000 and 2000 images is a normal day. Maintaining progress without being overwhelmed is difficult. It's so easy to go down rabbit holes with that many images to review.

There's no deadline, but there is some urgency in order to get a link to the Dragway so they can post photo links from the event on their website. I try to get the immediate stuff done within a few days, leaving the secondary shots to add later.

My steps to keep things moving:
  • Cull. I start by going through and deciding what to keep. The best frame of a burst is kept, the rest go to the bin. Unless there's some compelling reason, anything that isn't properly focused, missed exposures, poor composition, will go. Basically anything that can't be fixed with minor adjustments.
  • Organize. As images are culled the keepers get moved to subfolders for either immediate attention or to look at later. By doing it this way the next image to review is always at the top so I never lose my place, and the less important shots out of sight.
  • Process: Start at the top and work through. A lot of this type of shooting is under similar conditions on a given day for a given time period, so I can reduce my processing to about 5 or 6 clicks per image using presets. I dislike batch processing.
  • Export/Save: Completed images go to yet another folder called 'processed'. jpegs saved there are for uploading. These shots are always downsized and final quality reduced. If anyone wants a HiRes image they'll have to ask. That's pretty much true with all of my shots, regardless of the subject.
I try to use this same process every time, whether it was the track, a museum, vacation, or just a photo walk. If I don't I'll end up like @spudhead!

Back