Sony 14mm 1.8gm moving back elements

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Raindog

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Looking for some help from any owners of the Sony 14mm 1.8GM. I finally bit the bullet and bought this lens. When it arrived this morning I was shocked that the back elements move backwards/forwards several milimeters when tilting the lens up and down. I have a short video if that would be helpful.

On some test shots it seems to work okay, but I wondered if any other owners had the same issue and whether this is standard (I can't imagne it is!).

Thank you
Will

Solution
Inside a modern Sony lens there are elements that make the focus group (or groups: several lenses have two focus groups) that are moved by focus motors (mostly linear motors in GM lenses). With the lens disconnected from power, those elements are free to slide back and forth when you tilt the lens. Perfectly natural. As long as you don’t shake the lens violently, nothing bad will happen.
Inside a modern Sony lens there are elements that make the focus group (or groups: several lenses have two focus groups) that are moved by focus motors (mostly linear motors in GM lenses). With the lens disconnected from power, those elements are free to slide back and forth when you tilt the lens. Perfectly natural. As long as you don’t shake the lens violently, nothing bad will happen.

Solution
There's a Sigma 50 60 aps-c lens that is famous for this too.

EDIT: I meant 60!

Last edited:
Be good to see what you mean by back elements? if the internal glass elements then some Sonys do this, but if you are talking the actual back lens mount then no it shouldn't move

Be good to see what you mean by back elements? if the internal glass elements then some Sonys do this, but if you are talking the actual back lens mount then no it shouldn't move
Unfortunately I can't seem to upload video. The option is greyed out. But it seems like from Alpha World's description this is probably what's happening, because when the lens is mounted and camera turned on, I can't hear it sliding about.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciated you all taking the time to reply.

Thank you, that's reassured me! Much appreciated...

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back