Birds Superb Fairy Wren in breeding plumage early winter?

AlphaWorld

Veteran Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tony
I don't think there's any doubt that this is a male Superb Fairy Wren in breeding plumage.

The strange part is that I took this shot today - last day of the first month of winter, and they are normally in breeding plumage between September and January (Spring to mid-Summer). He should be brown at this time of year!

Maybe he had trouble reading his calendar? Or his brown suit got ruined at the cleaners?

Superb_Fairy_Wren_Breeding.jpg

This is roughly 1600x1600 cropped from a 6000x4000 frame from the A9III. Shot at f/5.6, 1/500. ISO 1600 using the 300 GM

They are beautiful little birds and not easy to photograph because they rarely stay still. Nature here is a bit skew-if because of the very warm, dry autumn we had.

I'm going on a bit of a road trip at the end of winter so I have been doing a bit of research on where to find some different bird species.

Awesome birds. Nice pic

They are beautiful little birds and not easy to photograph because they rarely stay still. Nature here is a bit skew-if because of the very warm, dry autumn we had.

I'm going on a bit of a road trip at the end of winter so I have been doing a bit of research on where to find some different bird species.

That might explain it.

Now it’s cold, and it has been rather wet - this poor bird must be wondering “what the heck has happened?”

Back