Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL

The latest model of the popular 90mm macro lens, the TAMRON 90mm F/2.8 Di III MACRO VXD (Model F072), is a mid-telephoto 1:1 macro lens that combines exceptional imaging performance and the latest technology accumulated during TAMRON’s 90mm macro lens history.

Looks like they saved some weight and cost by skipping Vibration Compensation. Other highlights:
MOD = 0.23m
Aperture range f2.8-f16
Length 126.5mm / 5in
Weight 630g / 22.2oz
$699

Official announcement:

Looking forward to reviews from the usual suspects.

Last edited:
I am surprised at the lack of stabilisation. The older lens was epic though. Optically this will be great I'm sure.

I am surprised at the lack of stabilisation. The older lens was epic though. Optically this will be great I'm sure.
I agree with you. Look at the recently introduced 50-300 and 20-300, they came with stabilization (VC), so I thought they were making a push to keep it in all their new lenses. That doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe the thought process is that any serious macro work is done with a tripod?

I agree with you. Look at the recently introduced 50-300 and 20-300, they came with stabilization (VC), so I thought they were making a push to keep it in all their new lenses. That doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe the thought process is that any serious macro work is done with a tripod?
Probably, but it isn't so much these days either. I certainly use stabilazation on the Sony, even when using a flash, and it does help, but aI always handhold. I can't be faffing around with a tripod in the wild.

I have the Tamron SP 1:2.5 90/f2.5 fully manual. Should I start a thread on DPReview asking if I should upgrade or not?

:devilish:

It's Chirstmas soon Chris! :) I much prefer to use my 70-200 F4 Macro than my FE 90mm F2.8 G these days, especially for anything flighty. I should probably dust it off and sell it.

It's Chirstmas soon Chris! :) I much prefer to use my 70-200 F4 Macro than my FE 90mm F2.8 G these days, especially for anything flighty. I should probably dust it off and sell it.
The 30mm macro I have is leaving me hungry for more magnification, I could probably settle for a 50mm or 60mm, but I think eventually I'd want a dedicated 90mm macro, so why not just add it to my Christmas shopping list from now? lol

I hardly ever do macro. One old manual lens in the cabinet is enough for me (actually it's a nice lens!) but I am always acquisitive and would like a modern (AF) 90/2.8 one day. Probably it will be that Sony when everybody else has forgotten it --- although I don't think that will happen, it is too good.

Guess this means that Sony will not be updating the 90mm G lens. I really like the Sony lens but it is slow to focus, I think the 50mm macro is actually faster, and does have a noticeable buzz as it focuses. I don't think I will be trading it in for the Tamron but will see what happens.

Interesting. I am going to get this lens, and I did think it would eliminate the use of the Macro. I do love the 90mm, it's great for cat portraits 😆, but it's close focus is no better than the 70-200 so that magnification makes the long boy a better option really.
@iamdlewis . Interesting you find the 90 slow. Do you mean it struggles to pic a focus point and hunts? I found it does if you are just that bit too close, or if you have a very bright subject (it struggles on my pure white cat) otherwise it's spot on.

really ,most manufacturers do not feel it is needed until 150mm f/l that is becuase ibis now is really quite good and gains are minimal with combined ,tamron make great lenses i have already looked at the review sony alpha blog and although not by any means dissapointing it offers really great value .the sigma has it trumped for sharpness wide open ,but the caveat with macro who scores highest at f8-f11 and sony tamron and sigma very similar ,it has the best bokeh ,best flare resistant ,best priced expect to pick this up for under £500 from certain online retailers ,also like all my other tamron lenses the magical 67mm filter thread ,for use as a macro lens the sony wins as it has a focus scale push pull clutch and dead stops and its a sony .

Interesting. I am going to get this lens, and I did think it would eliminate the use of the Macro. I do love the 90mm, it's great for cat portraits 😆, but it's close focus is no better than the 70-200 so that magnification makes the long boy a better option really.
@iamdlewis . Interesting you find the 90 slow. Do you mean it struggles to pic a focus point and hunts? I found it does if you are just that bit too close, or if you have a very bright subject (it struggles on my pure white cat) otherwise it's spot on.
I think the 70-200 Macro is a very versatile lens and a great option for shooting bugs when you don't really want to be on top of them. If I was really into serious macro and wanted to see every detail and more then I'd probably be using the Sony 90mm or looking at the Laowa 2x Ultra Macro options. My Sony 90mm definitely isn't as fast to focus as the newer lenses with the XD linear motors but I wouldn't call it slow, the focus motor is a little on the noisy side though.

I think the 70-200 Macro is a very versatile lens and a great option for shooting bugs when you don't really want to be on top of them. If I was really into serious macro and wanted to see every detail and more then I'd probably be using the Sony 90mm or looking at the Laowa 2x Ultra Macro options. My Sony 90mm definitely isn't as fast to focus as the newer lenses with the XD linear motors but I wouldn't call it slow, the focus motor is a little on the noisy side though.
tim are you using the 70-200mm f4 with t/c and still getting similar results with af and acuity ,the 70-200mm f2.8 works really well with t/cs

tim are you using the 70-200mm f4 with t/c and still getting similar results with af and acuity ,the 70-200mm f2.8 works really well with t/cs
I've mostly used it without. I did play around with them a little and didn't notice any significant hit to the af performance or accuracy, but I didn't test them extensively.

Back