Trying to get to grips with A6000 auto-focus.

Saint Alan

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Alan
Hi photo-fans, I am a 'traditional' hobby photographer going back to the black-and-white 35mm darkroom days. I like to control what is happening with my pics rather than a smart-ass camera deciding what I want, and this new A6000 has a mind of its own when it comes to focusing.
My previous A100 had a set focus area and selectors for close and distance balance on the top knob, and most of the time I used either manual or spot-centre auto focus. Is there anything similar buried in the A6000 menus?

It sounds like you might have the focus area set to wide. If you want to have a center or moveable focus spot go into the main camera menu, or use the Fn button to take you to the Quick Function menu and find the Focus area shortcut. I have played around with mine but think Focus area is one of Fn Shortcuts, if not, go into Menu, and on the top of page 3 of the first tab (camera icon) is Focus area, there you can choose either center, or flexible spot (among others) which you can also change the size of and move around the screen with the control wheel.

As for the "close and distance balance" you speak of, I have no idea what you mean by that.

Back