Sony A9 III A9 III flash synch speed stays at 1/500

Ericandpam

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Eric Peters
I have an A9 III and is supposed to synch at ALL shutter speeds. When I shoot on manual, all shutter speeds are available but as soon as I put my Godox flash trigger in the hotshoe, the maximum shutter speed only goes to 1/500. How do I get faster synch speeds? Thanks

Put the trigger into highspeed mode - Godox call it highspeed Sync

On my X-Pro trigger pressing the sync button turns it on and you get a little H symbol with a flash at the top of the screen
No, that puts it into high speed sync, which means you are not using the A9 III's ability to sync at any speed.

I have an A9 III and is supposed to synch at ALL shutter speeds. When I shoot on manual, all shutter speeds are available but as soon as I put my Godox flash trigger in the hotshoe, the maximum shutter speed only goes to 1/500. How do I get faster synch speeds? Thanks

I managed to get a Godox V1 to sync at high speed (all the way to 1/80000). The key thing is to turn on Flash Timing Setting On. Without that, it will cap at 1/500. Then you get to experiment with different delay factors in microseconds. The right delay varies with the intensity of the flash, and I never did work out the pattern.

The cute part is that the Sony HVL-F46RM and HVL-F60RM2 both work without messing with the Flash Timing Setting. I'd love to think that Godox could reverse-engineer how that works. Might only work for their on-camera style flash units like the V1 - getting it to work for mains powered units could be much more difficult.

Back