Any AR7-IV owners here have a Sigma 500mm f5.6 lens?

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

snafu

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Thomas Prossima
I'm currently looking at purchasing a long telephoto for wildlife photography. I have it narrowed down to the Sony 200-600mm G and the Sigma 500mm f5.6
I'll be using with my A7r-IV. During my online research I've come across some comments about the Sigma 500 where it has inconsistent performance with the A7r family of cameras. I was wondering if anyone here can comment on this lens.

By the way I've tried out the Sony 200-600 and I really like it. But, it's one heavy lens to lug around.

Strange you should say that you have seen reports of inconsistent behaviour on the A7RIV for the Sigma 500. Strange because there were real reports of inconsistent behaviour of the 200-600 - did you mix up the two up on this?

The problem with the 200-600 and the A7RIV was eventually tracked down to a setting on the camera that made the two not work quite right. I do not remember what the setting was (I just remember thinking "oh, I never use that!"), but Google should be able to find it for you.

I don't have the Sigma 500mm f/5.6, but I have been very tempted. Main reasons I didn't go for it were:
  • not supporting faster than 15fps (I have an A9 III, and an A1)
  • not supporting teleconverters (I have both)
It does sound like an excellent lens, and nice and light (something I look for these days).

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back