Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
Here is the situation:

My usual travel backpack is a 30L Peak Design Everyday Backpack. Typically I carry the A6700, Tamron 17-70, Sony 30mm Macro or Sony 10-18mm, and a Manfrotto pixi tripod. sometimes I carry a laptop. The bag can hold more camera gear, but I always need to leave space for other odds & ends I need to carry as a father of a 2yr old princess 😅

The reason for the thread: it annoys me greatly that the bag does not fit well under a standard airline seat. I fly fairly often, sometimes as many as 8-10 flights per year, and it gets old fighting for overhead bin space for my backpack.

Wife has a Nomatic 20L Travel Backpack (not the camera specific kind) that she doesn't use. It fits well under an airline seat and the straps are more comfortable than the PD bag. It does not have camera shelves/dividers so maybe I need to get a small camera cube like the PD Camera Cube V2 in extra small.

What do you think? stick with the 20L option at my disposal? I'm open to other backpack suggestions in the 20-25L range.

Is very simple.

I always travel with my wife, I pop my biggest lens in my bag, along with my sweets, headphones, tough phone with good battery life, tunes, podcasts etc, a book and a magazine if we're changing continent. The rest, I slip into my wife's case the morning we fly.

She never notices. She's too busy worrying about her fluids bag (which has all my essentials in it).

A 30L backpack is pretty big. I wouldn’t expect it to fit under a plane seat. My “big” bag is a Lowepro Flipside 400 backpack & I wouldn’t expect that to fit under a plane seat either. It is 20L. In the past I have used ordinary backpacks with the inserts from a camera bag. It might be worthwhile giving that a go.

Given our recent flying experience, most airlines don't check at all! We saw some serious piss taking going to and from Spain. My Manfrotto, which is literally on the borderline of size for carry on, was never checked and was way smaller than most other bags. They tagged it as under seat luggage.

My 30L bag fits under the seats fine. You can generally find the measurements of the bags so as long as they are not wider or deeper than what the carryon size is you will be fine.

My 30L bag fits under the seats fine. You can generally find the measurements of the bags so as long as they are not wider or deeper than what the carryon size is you will be fine.
If I don't pack it to capacity, I can squish it a bit and make it fit somewhat. I guess I just need to downsize so I don't have to kick/force the pack under the seat. I always worry about the camera, lenses and filters when I do that. So when I fly for Thanksgiving I'm going to use the 20L backpack with a cube. I told wifey not to give me as many useless things for the kid, and in turn I will limit myself to only one lens (well, we'll see about that hehe).

I guess everyone here carries more gear than me (bigger camera bodies, more/larger lenses) and we all have different experiences traveling with gear.

Given our recent flying experience, most airlines don't check at all! We saw some serious piss taking going to and from Spain. My Manfrotto, which is literally on the borderline of size for carry on, was never checked and was way smaller than most other bags. They tagged it as under seat luggage.
Part of me wishes the airlines were more stringent with carry-ons. It would make boarding sooo much easier. Then again, those restrictions are fluid and I can't be buying new carry-on suitcases every other year. I can't wait to get back to the point of checking all luggage except for a backpack. And so the game continues: we pay higher prices for airline travel, to get on board quicker to get first dibbs on overhead bin space and less amenities in-flight.

Part of me wishes the airlines were more stringent with carry-ons. It would make boarding sooo much easier. Then again, those restrictions are fluid and I can't be buying new carry-on suitcases every other year. I can't wait to get back to the point of checking all luggage except for a backpack. And so the game continues: we pay higher prices for airline travel, to get on board quicker to get first dibbs on overhead bin space and less amenities in-flight.
See I hate that people are allowed to put their bags on in any bin other than the one above where they sit. It causes utter chaos when you get off. I paid for guaranteed cabin luggage, but it ended up nowhere near me. That annoyed me a lot. Were it above the seat you are on, disembarking would be smoother and quicker. People are too eager to get off

See I hate that people are allowed to put their bags on in any bin other than the one above where they sit. It causes utter chaos when you get off. I paid for guaranteed cabin luggage, but it ended up nowhere near me. That annoyed me a lot. Were it above the seat you are on, disembarking would be smoother and quicker. People are too eager to get off
hahaha If you hate people too eager to get off plane, never fly to/from Jamaica; my people will trample you in an effort to get off first. I'm not even exaggerating either! I get out first to block the aisle so I can assist my wife and child and shield them.

As for guaranteed cabin baggage, I use American Airlines "Main Cabin Extra" which guarantees you overhead bin space, seats behind business class, and a free alcoholic beverage. If other airlines have a similar tier of service, I'd continue to pay for it.

hahaha If you hate people too eager to get off plane, never fly to/from Jamaica; my people will trample you in an effort to get off first. I'm not even exaggerating either! I get out first to block the aisle so I can assist my wife and child and shield them.

As for guaranteed cabin baggage, I use American Airlines "Main Cabin Extra" which guarantees you overhead bin space, seats behind business class, and a free alcoholic beverage. If other airlines have a similar tier of service, I'd continue to pay for it.
British people do the same. The airlines could so easily solve this.

so I don't have to kick/force the pack under the seat. I always worry about the camera, lenses and filters when I do that.

I'll never recover from my mental picture of this. Application of hefty boot to bag. Breakage noises. "Damn I hope that wasn't a GM"

:eek:

;)

Back