Trains CPKC Empress 2816 Steam Train

brphotographycanada

Followers
Following
Name
Brian Rose
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
My dad is a huge fan of historic trains. So when he heard that CPKC was planning to run their famous "Empress" steam engine from Calgary all the way to Mexico City, we had to go check it out. Here's the official webpage if you're curious about the train and the tour CPKC Final Spike Tour Webpage Here's a couple shots from around Medicine Hat, AB and Maple Creek, SK. (I just realized these would be great for the "Mechanized World" competition on right now if they hadn't been shot in April)
DSC05197.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 160
DSC05357.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 160
DSC05316.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS
  • 27.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 100
DSC05337.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS
  • 105.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 125

Nice pics. I'm with your dad! I plan of going out & taking some pics of our local steam locos in the next couple of months. Unfortunately, there whole length of their railway isn't available at present because of maintenance to some bridges.

He's writing a novel! But I found it to be way more fun than I expected to sorta chase it haha.

Yeah, the problem with being on the train is that you don't actually get to see much of the train until it stops. I enjoy chasing them too.

My dad is a huge fan of historic trains. So when he heard that CPKC was planning to run their famous "Empress" steam engine from Calgary all the way to Mexico City, we had to go check it out. Here's the official webpage if you're curious about the train and the tour CPKC Final Spike Tour Webpage Here's a couple shots from around Medicine Hat, AB and Maple Creek, SK. (I just realized these would be great for the "Mechanized World" competition on right now if they hadn't been shot in April)View attachment 63886 View attachment 63885View attachment 63882View attachment 63883
Great shots, and the last two shots are fantastic! I love trains, last week as I pulled into Victoria Station in London, the Orient Express was on the platform opposite, what a sight! I'd love to take that train someday.

Last edited:
I’ve been on quite a few preserved railways in the UK over the years. They seem to be going from strength to strength these days.

That's a beast. Fab to see.

I’ve been on quite a few preserved railways in the UK over the years. They seem to be going from strength to strength these days.
Richard I think you may be confusing our regular railway with the historic preserved lines ;-)

Ha, ha, I don’t think our railways are anything to boast about. The modern ones that is…

Back