Favorite bag(s)?

The perfect bag does exist. Ladies and gents, I present to you the Vanguard alta sky 68. You can literally put everything in it.

View attachment 65402

Once done however, very few can pick it up and walk.

Banana for scale.

I thought the banana was to really the energy lost lifting it :p

Pretty sure you can’t put “everything” in it. Light stands are a bit too long!

I understand. I did say zooms.

I guess I want to pack a Tamron 17-50, 50-300, and Possibly my Sony 24-105 G OSS. I realize that's a lot of lens for a sling pack, but of course, that's why I'm asking. Your point about slings being too heavy for you is well taken. The Lowepro FreeLine pack that BrianN posted above looks interesting, and it looks like it would pack the three lenses I want. I need to do a comparison with my Fastpack 250. I actually wish all the manufacturers would just start rating them in liters, as some do.

What stinks is that there used to be local shops I could go to to try out all these things, but sales have all moved online. I can't fly to New York and go to B&H when I want to shop. I wish I could, but I spent all my money on gear. Lol.

That’s a reasonable load.

At least you aren’t trying to pack a 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 GM, and 200-600 G - that’s three zooms, too, but it would require a much larger bag.

I thought the banana was to really the energy lost lifting it :p

Pretty sure you can’t put “everything” in it. Light stands are a bit too long!
OK, I'm slightly prone to exaggeration.

20240815_084627.jpg
  • SM-G981B
  • 5.4 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/50 sec
  • ISO 320

There's still room for 1 largish prime.

Like this, it's just shy of 10kg. I used to hike with a lot more when I was younger. These days, I wouldn't want to go far with it.

Is that a 200-600 and the 300GM? Or is the big one a 400 or 600 GM?

10kg? Yeah, I wouldn’t be carrying that.

I have a Tenba roller that will hold two long lenses - I got it a while back. If you don’t mind rolling it behind you, it might take that load, and spare your shoulders. Not something for mountain hikes, though.

Okay, I finally took the Tenba into the field. I went to a car show, and it was 90+ degrees and sunny. It was pretty darn comfortable, and breathed enough that I didn't end up with a bunch of back sweat. My left shoulder did begin to ache after about two hours. I think I had my two heaviest lenses in it, as well as water. I could lighten the load. It was very nice to access while on the move, has good capacity, and I have to say I really really like that. I put a peak designs capture camera clip on the front of the padded strap, and was able to successfully use it as well. I will be using this bag quite a bit.

I picked up a Peak Design Everyday Sling 3L V2 for my A7 III and 1 lens and I've been loving it!

Previous camera bags I had have always been brilliant and fit for purpose but made me feel a bit of a wally while walking around and to a lesser extent, a slight target as the bag was obviously for a camera. The Peak Design Sling looks a lot more casual so I feel happier while walking around a site or place, but it still holds my camera and lens safely and comfortably.

Big thumbs up from me!

I'm quite fond of the Mrs, but she can be a right old bag :D

Back