All Models I am upgrading from A6700 to a FF body, any suggestions?

Jeromy

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Jaakko Saarilahti
Thank you for accepting me. I need help deciding which camera body to buy: the A7C II, A7C R, or A7R V while keeping my A6700. I have some good Sony G APS-C lenses I would like to use in crop mode on the new FF body. Should I prefer the 61 MP sensor since it provides the same pixel density as in A6700 when used in crop mode? I don't plan to buy many lenses for the FF body, except perhaps the 70-200mm f/4. I already have a couple of FF lenses, too, which I used in A6700, the 35mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/1.8. Do you have any suggestions? TIA.

Solution
Thank you for accepting me. I need help deciding which camera body to buy: the A7C II, A7C R, or A7R V while keeping my A6700. I have some good Sony G APS-C lenses I would like to use in crop mode on the new FF body. Should I prefer the 61 MP sensor since it provides the same pixel density as in A6700 when used in crop mode? I don't plan to buy many lenses for the FF body, except perhaps the 70-200mm f/4. I already have a couple of FF lenses, too, which I used in A6700, the 35mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/1.8. Do you have any suggestions? TIA.
I have an A6600 and A1 and recently bought an A7cr. I love it. 61 mp, full frame. I did some resolution tests. While the A7 c r is fantastic, the a6600 is pretty darn good and compares well except...
I have the a7Cr. It's a bloody good camera, if you like the rangefinder type format. My only gripes are the evf quality and comparatively slow fps. I use it when I want discrete and portable.

Everything else, I get the a1 out.

I have no experience of the a7r5.

I agree with Dave, the disadvantage of the compact bodies is lower resolution viewfinder and screen. That's not too limiting if you are in good light and autofocus is performing well, but for macro or anything where you want to manually focus, it can be a little frustrating on the a6700. So if that sounds like a familiar situation, go with a bigger body like the A7RV.

What features are you looking for in moving to a FF body if you are not looking to get FF lenses? It sounds like you just want to change bodies for the sake of changing bodies.

What features are you looking for in moving to a FF body if you are not looking to get FF lenses? It sounds like you just want to change bodies for the sake of changing bodies.
I already have two FF lenses, Sony FE 35mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/1.8, which I have used with the A6700 body, as explained in my question. Besides that, I'm considering getting a 70-200mm f/4.0, which makes a total of three FF lenses. For me, the reasons for getting an FF body are that 1) Sony doesn't make good prime aps-c lenses that match the 50-85mm focal lengths in the FF camera, and 2) I have more room to edit the image if it has more pixels.

For me, the reasons for getting an FF body are that 1) Sony doesn't make good prime aps-c lenses that match the 50-85mm focal lengths in the FF camera
Sony has a good 35mm f1.8 for APSC, but third party lenses bring the value that you are missing.

These are all EXCELLENT APSC lenses:
Sigma 16mm f1.4 (FF equivalent 24mm)
Sigma 23mm f1.4 (FF equivalent 35mm)
Sigma 30mm f1.4 (FF equivalent 45mm)
Sigma 56mm f1.4 (FF equivalent 84mm)
Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 (FF equivalent 27-75mm)
Tamron 17-70mm f2.8 (FF equivalent 26-105mm)

I have an A6600 and A1 and recently bought an A7cr. I love it. 61 mp, full frame. I did some resolution tests. While the A7 c r is fantastic, the a6600 is pretty darn good and compares well except for shots needing the absolute finest of resolution such as human hair on a head, or bird feathers. When traveling or just casually going around and wanting a camera, I take the a6600. For really excellent quality, I will take the a7cr. I also use a1, which I use for extra special work with the new Sony 300 mm G Master lens and 2x extender. If the a7cr had been available 2 years ago I would have bought it instead of the a1. Half the price. I had the a7c but sold it on eBay as it wasn't nearly as good as what I wanted. I know it's all overkill but I love having the ability to choose. Right now visiting my son in Montreal, live on Long island, just grabbed the a6600 and went. It is so light especially with a light lens and great for travel and 90% of photography that I do.

Solution
If you intend to keep the 6700, I think that it'd be wiser to get an A7R V. Difference will be more noticeable than with an A7CII or A7CR.

Sony has a good 35mm f1.8 for APSC, but third party lenses bring the value that you are missing.

These are all EXCELLENT APSC lenses:
Sigma 16mm f1.4 (FF equivalent 24mm)
Sigma 23mm f1.4 (FF equivalent 35mm)
Sigma 30mm f1.4 (FF equivalent 45mm)
Sigma 56mm f1.4 (FF equivalent 84mm)
Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 (FF equivalent 27-75mm)
Tamron 17-70mm f2.8 (FF equivalent 26-105mm)
Thanks. What I have now are the Sony ASP-C lenses 10-20mm 4.0, 15mm 1.4, 16-55mm 2.8 and 70-350mm 4.5-6.3. Besides that, I have two FE lenses 35mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8 from Sony, which I also want to use on the FF body. I have no intention of acquiring more APS-C lenses, and I plan to use, for example, the 10-20mm and 70-350mm lenses also in crop mode on the FF body. How do you think this sounds?

Thanks. What I have now are the Sony ASP-C lenses 10-20mm 4.0, 15mm 1.4, 16-55mm 2.8 and 70-350mm 4.5-6.3. Besides that, I have two FE lenses 35mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8 from Sony, which I also want to use on the FF body. I have no intention of acquiring more APS-C lenses, and I plan to use, for example, the 10-20mm and 70-350mm lenses also in crop mode on the FF body. How do you think this sounds?
I didn't realize you had so many APSC lenses already. I agree, don't bother to buy any more.

If you're going to buy a full frame camera in addition to keeping the APSC, my vote is to get one that will give you every advantage of using a full frame; which means A1 or A7RV for best resolution, ergonomics, and best display/EVF. Use crop mode only as a temporary measure until you have the FE lenses to give you the focal range you want. The only exception would be that 70-350, you could continue using that on a FF in crop mode for wildlife or bird photography since its light and has a great range.

Back