Followers
Following
Name
Bob
Country
United States
City/State
So Cal
When I first got into the Sony e-mount cameras, I owned a few Zeiss Batis lens along with a handfull of Sony lenses including the 90 macro. For what ever reason at the time I did not use that 90 and sold it and all the Batis ones, since then I have had only Sony lenses. Well I am thinking of going back to a macro, but this time getting the new Tamron, less money , great reviews and I am afraid I will not use it as much as I think I will.

Makes sense, financially, and it's getting very good reviews. I don't use my Sony that much, but it is a phenomenal portrait lens and great for photos of my cats :)

One of the main reasons I moved to Sony when changing systems was the third party lens support. Tamron have been making 90mm macro lenses for many years with a good reputation but this latest one is supposed to be their best ever by far.

As an APSC user, I'm cheap 😅 so I always compare $ony lenses with their 3rd party counterparts.
Tamron and Sigma get top marks from me for sharpness, usable range, and price. I have less to say about the cheaper manufacturers from China. In particular, I like that Tamron has several lenses with Vibration Compensation (VC, their equivalent of Sony OSS).

Even if the 90mm Macro lens you're looking at doesn't have VC, its still being reviewed well for sharpness and fast autofocus with the VXD focusing system.

it is a phenomenal portrait lens and great for photos of my cats
I think it is a good idea to buy a macro lens of a focal length that one will use for other stuff. Mine is an old Tamron manual 90mm, that I bought used as it was an affordable way to get a portrait lens for apsc, until I could get the Sony FE85/1.8. I take very occasional macros.

I'd like to add the Sony 90 (used) to the collection one day, but as a very-seldom-macro man it is so close to 85 and slower. But I'd just like to own one!

The only thing holding me back is I just got the 85mm F1.4 Gmaster II and love it, but it cannot focus close enough for macro stuff. I could just put an ext tube on it but that is not the best choice on those days where one wants to shot mostly macro stuff say at a garden, but also shoot other things with out bring lots of lenses.The idea of having to take the tube off and on all day. is not want what I want. On the other hand this 90 being almost the same focal length seems repetitive. My thinking is to buy it. if it sits to much like the last one I owned years ago just sell it, should not lose too much.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back