Sony A1 Sony A1, 20fps or 30fps in Drive Mode Hi(E-Shutter)

dsk05a

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Duran Kandhai
Country
United Kingdom
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Hello,
I recently bought the Sony A1 and updated to fw Version 2.01 and when going through the menus in order to familiarise myself with it, I noticed that when I go into the Drive Mode > Cont. Shooting Speed> Hi (E-Shutter), I only get a choice for 20 images or lower, and not the 30 as I was hoping for, and as advertised.
I'm aware that you do need a capable lens to achieve this, and I must admit that I haven't actually tried it out yet, but as I have just purchased this camera, and still being in the "return" window, I thought I get some advice, because there might be a simple explanation for this (I hope!).
I'd appreciate any advice you may have.
Regards,

Which lens do you have, as this will be the reason.

Hello,
I recently bought the Sony A1 and updated to fw Version 2.01 and when going through the menus in order to familiarise myself with it, I noticed that when I go into the Drive Mode > Cont. Shooting Speed> Hi (E-Shutter), I only get a choice for 20 images or lower, and not the 30 as I was hoping for, and as advertised.
I'm aware that you do need a capable lens to achieve this, and I must admit that I haven't actually tried it out yet, but as I have just purchased this camera, and still being in the "return" window, I thought I get some advice, because there might be a simple explanation for this (I hope!).
I'd appreciate any advice you may have.
Regards,

30fps is accessed via the drive mode dial on top of the camera, set to H+

Continuous shooting settingShutter Type: Mechanical ShutterShutter Type: Auto/Electronic Shutter*1
Continuous Shooting: Hi+Maximum 10 images/second*2*4Maximum 30 images/second*3*4*5
Continuous Shooting: HiMaximum 8 images/second*2*4Maximum 20 images/second*4*5
Continuous Shooting: MidMaximum 6 images/second*4Maximum 15 images/second*4
Continuous Shooting: LoMaximum 3 images/secondMaximum 5 images/second*4

Ok got the a1 never tried the 30fps but someone we all know on here tells me, its only possible in jpeg not raw

Under Drive Mode > Cont. Shooting Speed> you should only see the Hi, Mid and Low options which are all customisable. If you change the top left dial to Hi+ this will give you 30 fps or the maximum speed that your settings and lens permit. You can't customise the Hi+ setting. You will also need to be shooting Compressed RAW, JPEG or HEIF file format to get the maximum 30 fps with the electronic shutter. See this article for further details and compatible lenses.

Ok got the a1 never tried the 30fps but someone we all know on here tells me, its only possible in jpeg not raw

Not true.

There is a restriction, but it’s not JPEG. It’s lossy compression - you cannot run 30fps in lossless compression or uncompressed. Still RAW. So choose the top RAW format (Compressed) and then set drive speed to Hi+. You also need AF Priority set to Release.

I think that’s all.

The “someone” might be thinking of cameras like the Nikon Z9, where the top speed is JPEG only (but it’s crazy fast).

Oh, Tim covered all that already :D

Last edited:
As a side note, on the A9 III you CAN customise Hi+ (including setting it to 120 or 60fps), but that’s because you can set a button to flip to 120fps no matter where the dial is - by default that function is set to C5 on the front of the camera. I guess C5 is Hi++ ;)

I suspect a lot of people will set Hi+ to 60 (or lower) - I did.

Back