Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like Sony are are working on a new lens 100-300 2.8 and also a new compact camera, the lens might be of interest to me

Definitely an interesting lens.

A long while back I owned a Sigma 100-300 f/4 - it was useful. They had a 120-300 f/2.8, but I couldn’t afford that one at the time.

It will be interesting to see the specs if this lens comes out. Weight would be my worry, but Sony is good at that…

Forgive my wariness, because this sounds like someone saying “Canon have a 100-300 f/2.8, Sony should have one, too”

So IF Sony did release a 100-300 f2.8 what’s peoples thoughts on the effects it would have on sales of the 300 2.8 ?

Would people trade the 300 2.8 to buy the 100-300 ?

I’m guessing the question would be “Does it work well with TCs” assuming they would fit.

Maybe a built in 1.4 TC and work with the separate TCs 😱

Price ? I’m Guessing £11,000 ish or £13,500 ish with built in TC

Would you buy it ? Quite a premium on top of the 300mm f2.8, which can be had here in the UK for £4350 and with my experience works very well with both TCs

Thoughts ?

So IF Sony did release a 100-300 f2.8 what’s peoples thoughts on the effects it would have on sales of the 300 2.8 ?

Absolutely NOT trading the 300 for the 100-300, for me.

The 300 GM works superbly with the 2x TC. None of the Sony zooms works as well (OK, I have only tested 3 of the 4 - I don’t have the 100-400).

Besides, I would expect the 100-300 to be significantly heavier.

Would people trade the 300 2.8 to buy the 100-300 ?

I’m guessing the question would be “Does it work well with TCs” assuming they would fit.
I would expect it to work with TCs.
Maybe a built in 1.4 TC and work with the separate TCs 😱
Sony has not released any lenses with an integral TC. They might, but their track record says no.
Price ? I’m Guessing £11,000 ish or £13,500 ish with built in TC

Would you buy it ? Quite a premium on top of the 300mm f2.8, which can be had here in the UK for £4350 and with my experience works very well with both TCs

Thoughts ?

The price is an interesting question. I can see it two ways:
  • If they make it as sharp and fast as the 300GM, you could argue that it must cost more with the extra flexibility
  • None of their white zooms cost near the price of the ultimate quality white primes, so it must cost less
I don’t know how much the Canon or Nikon versions are.

Would I buy it? Hard to say. I really like the 300 GM. Would depend a lot on its price and weight, and a bit on image quality.
  • If it weighed like the Canon, heck no!
  • If it cost like the 400 GM, no
  • If it cost like the 200-600, possibly yes
Guess I will have to wait and see.

Absolutely NOT trading the 300 for the 100-300, for me.

The 300 GM works superbly with the 2x TC. None of the Sony zooms works as well (OK, I have only tested 3 of the 4 - I don’t have the 100-400).

Besides, I would expect the 100-300 to be significantly heavier.

I would expect it to work with TCs.

Sony has not released any lenses with an integral TC. They might, but their track record says no.

The price is an interesting question. I can see it two ways:
  • If they make it as sharp and fast as the 300GM, you could argue that it must cost more with the extra flexibility
  • None of their white zooms cost near the price of the ultimate quality white primes, so it must cost less
I don’t know how much the Canon or Nikon versions are.

Would I buy it? Hard to say. I really like the 300 GM. Would depend a lot on its price and weight, and a bit on image quality.
  • If it weighed like the Canon, heck no!
  • If it cost like the 400 GM, no
  • If it cost like the 200-600, possibly yes
Guess I will have to wait and see.

I believe the Canon version has a uk price of £11,500 and the Nikon (120-300 f2.8) rolls in at £10,500 so really is considered a “Premium” lens. I would highly doubt a 2.8 version from Sony would be anywhere near the 200-600 price (unfortunately) hence my guesses in original post.

I have the Sony 300mm f2.8 which I paid £4,500 for and whilst the flexibility of a zoom would be tempting I think a £10,000 plus lens wouldn’t be on my shopping list to replace it !

A very dedicated lens for sports photographers I believe, there will always be other uses like wildlife but think price will mark it out for most.

I have the 300 2.8 and tcs , and would keep them this is a rumor right now but it could be something Sony might make because e-mount has been around for years now and they have not made, or allowed third party makers to fill this focal length yet . I guess we will see, but I feel sure it will be made at some point.

Back