Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I know we have some Floridians here. Hopefully you are all bunkered down somewhere safe and not standing on the coast taking photos like we do over here whenever a storm hits! Although our storms are pussy cats compared to yours. Fingers and toes crossed that it's not going to be as bad as they say.

I second the sentiment

Cheers guys, Milton is very serious business indeed. Its going to affect a very wide area.
I'm roughly where the blue dot is on this map (so it won't be so bad for me):
Screenshot 2024-10-09 130740.jpg

I do have friends and family in Orlando though, and they are going to have a rough time with it starting tonight.
I know we probably have under a dozen FL members, but I hope you all keep safe and have evacuated if your area has called for it.

Stay safe Chris, and all other Floridians here, even a long distance from their centres these storms can be dangerous.

Sunset was wild this evening, fast moving low clouds and bright colors (when not blocked by thicker bands). I wish I had driven out to take pictures, but my wife wouldn't allow it.

Cellphone image from back yard:
1000056790.jpg
  • Galaxy S23+
  • 5.4 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/120 sec
  • ISO 640

My sister in Orlando is likely dealing with 50-ish mph gusts of wind and tornado warnings. Will continue to monitor.

Hope you all had a safe night. I read that Milton has just been downgraded to force 1 so hopefully the worse is behind you.

Storm is gone, no more ill effects in my town. My family in Orlando is safe. Much to be thankful for. The most surprising thing was the number of tornados across the state.

• Admin
Storm is gone, no more ill effects in my town. My family in Orlando is safe. Much to be thankful for. The most surprising thing was the number of tornados across the state.
Glad to hear it Chris! Hopefully the last big one for a while. I can't imagine what it's like watching a tornado coming towards your house. Do you have a tornado shelter?

Glad to hear it Chris! Hopefully the last big one for a while. I can't imagine what it's like watching a tornado coming towards your house. Do you have a tornado shelter?
No, in Florida we're basically swampland, so no basement to speak of. In the mid-west, they usually build tornado shelters into their basements. Instead we have shutters for our windows and flood insurance, then we drink beer & eat snacks and watch weather channel until the power goes out or we fall asleep 😅

Cheers guys, Milton is very serious business indeed. Its going to affect a very wide area.
I'm roughly where the blue dot is on this map (so it won't be so bad for me):
View attachment 67872

I do have friends and family in Orlando though, and they are going to have a rough time with it starting tonight.
I know we probably have under a dozen FL members, but I hope you all keep safe and have evacuated if your area has called for it.
Keep dry and safe.

Good to know, did your area experience much damage?
There was a tornado in our area, but more up north. 200+ miles to the north and along the west coast of Florida, there was severe damage and flooding.

Back