Name
Ed Galea
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
London
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Tritons’ Fountain Floriana, outside the gates of Valletta by night.
Which of the three crops is best? I'm thinking the second or third image. Also should I remove the church on the left of the fountain, is it a distraction or does it add interest to the composition?

Tritons’ Fountain Floriana by night-1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II
  • 51.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 2000
Tritons’ Fountain Floriana by night-2.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II
  • 51.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 2000

Tritons’ Fountain Floriana by night-3.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II
  • 51.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 2000

I think the first crop at the top is not enough, but on the others it is too much.
I would have put the fountain on the right third, and included both of the other buildings in the picture as a lead-in to the main subject.

Sometimes cropping isn't enough. This is the risk we run with taking photos on vacation: not enough time to walk around, study the subject and choose best composition. I'm sure you did what you could Ed. For what it's worth, I'd choose 3rd photo.

Sometimes cropping isn't enough. This is the risk we run with taking photos on vacation: not enough time to walk around, study the subject and choose best composition. I'm sure you did what you could Ed. For what it's worth, I'd choose 3rd photo.
Thanks Chris and Alan, as I walked out of the gates of the city (Valletta) you are hit with the fountain. I liked the way it was illuminated with the national colours (it was republic day) and I really wanted to catch the silhouette of the people around the fountain. I have a heep of other photographs of the fountain from different angles - it was also just outside our hotel (The Phoenica) so it was always available -hotel can be seen in the top right. I also like option 3, but like option 2 as it includes the churches in the top left. However, they could be a distraction, so I could lose them in the night background. I had to work quite hard to pull them out of the dark, but the composition may be better without them?

Last edited:
Back