Name
John S Sadowsky
Country
United States
City/State
Charlestown, MD
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
My A7R V viewfinder goes dark unexpectedly. Sometimes, I can get it back by half-pressing the shutter release or cycling the power. The problem seems to occur mostly when shooting in bright sunlight. I tried using the VF only (manual), but that didn't work. I have updated the firmware to v3, but the problem also occurred with the previous version. I know a sensor detects when your eye is at the VF, but there doesn't appear to be a sensitivity adjustment for the auto-detection. Any thoughts?

As you've now found my post from before @Tim Mayo merge?

I once had a problem with my A7iii viewfinder not switching on/off properly (I can't remember exactly what it was doing), but I fixed it by simply sliding the viewfinder cup off then wiping the sensor window with my finger to clean it, and that fixed it.
If the sensor window is clean then it is less likely to be affected by sunlight, so I guess it is worth a try.

As you've now found my post from before @Tim Mayo merge?
I actually did search for a solution before posting, but I did it under the A7R V tag. I couldn't figure out how to merge - maybe the admin can do that.

Heading out with my A7R V and a roll of duct tape! :cool:

Literally the smallest piece of black tape does it. I'll grab a pic of mine later.

Back