What Photography related item have you bought or sold this week?

I have recently bought the following in preparation for my 2 month road trip to New Zealand in September to November.

1. Smaller camera bag, Lowepro BP 350 AW.
2. Samsung 2TB external SSD.

I'm bringing in a gently used Tamron 70-300rxd to contend for my primary telezoom lens. The dt 55-200 sam has defeated all comers so far, despite obvious vignette issues in the corners (crushed the 70-210ii Minolta, edged out the 100-300Apo & SP/usd Tam 70-300 in A-mount).

The weight difference is closer, native E vs em3 adapter should be informative, and wx protection + closeups favor the rxd. Clearly the 50-300 would win me over, equally clear to me I cannot afford one soon. At least the new lens has sent more 70-300 copies down a bit in price.

I have recently bought the following in preparation for my 2 month road trip to New Zealand in September to November.

1. Smaller camera bag, Lowepro BP 350 AW.
2. Samsung 2TB external SSD.
You'd better leave soon if you plan to drive there! :oops:

But in all seriousness, New Zealand is a lovely place. I'd like to go back there to do a road trip. While you're touring around New Zealand, I'll be doing a road trip myself - to Sydney.

I've been hankering for a fast 50 for a while now. After much deliberation, I decided on the f1.2 GM. I know there are cheaper options, but having read up, the GM comes out marginally ahead on image quality. That and if I don't spend it, the kids or his majesty's treasury will get it. No brainer really!

I got it from e-infinity which bought the price down to that of the Sigma offering. Took 6 days to arrive.

A quick test shot of Pat to try it out.

DSC06137.JPG
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 50mm F1.2 GM
  • 50.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.2
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 100

Just bought the 300 F2.8. It will be my new owling lens. Sold my 400 2.8 a couple of weeks ago. This lens is supposedly fabulous with both the 1.4 and 2.0 T.C's, so I will get 420 F4.0 with the 1.4 and 600 with the 2.0. Probably won't use the 2.0 too much as I have the 600 F4.

Just bought the 300 F2.8.
The stuff of dreams!
I decided on the f1.2 GM
That, too!

Congratulations on those new lenses.

Having given myself a good talking to about sensible spending according to my situation, I did not buy a Sony 24-70/2.8 GM ii this week.

But I did get the Sigma 24-70 DG DN II yesterday :D. And it's my second lens in two or three weeks :eek: . Both Sigmas: I think it may be a trend!

Yes, I need to stop spending now! I have just ordered (from China) a spare battery door so I can cut a groove in it for use with my battery adapter. Also ordered a Sony grip for my new (to me) RX100VII which should arrive by the middle of next week.

Less of the "stop spending" talk, you're doing a good thing. The economy depends on you, it creates growth, growth creates employment.

Don't feel guilty, give yourselves a pat on the back. We'll done chaps.

My RX100VII arrived today. Looks pretty good. There is a small scuff on top, on the flash housing but I knew that & it is less noticeable than in the photos. Will have to try to find time to have a play with it over the next few days.

Just bought the iFootage Cobra 3 monopod after seeing Jordan's review of it. Hoping it will make heavier lenses more usable - we'll see :)

Going to try it without a head, first, but I think I'm going to want one.

Took me a while to work out how to use the 1/4" thread - I was not expecting the 3/8" thread to be spring loaded! It didn't help that they supply a hex key with the monopod, and it happens to fit the (very tight!) hex hole in the bottom of the quick release plate...

The quick release plate is otherwise quite neat - it's quick attach, too.

The supplied bag is nicely padded.

Just bought an Sony teleconverter 1,4x. Always wanted to try it with the 200-600mm. Bought it second hand, but in excellent condition for a good price, will be fun to try!

I have forbidden myself any more spending on photo kit for the foreseeable future. But then, maybe I'm not that great at foresight!

A Neewer dual battery charger, and a Small Rig FZ100 type replacement battery battery with integrated USB-C charging port

I picked up a low priced DA40xs (the Pentax k-01 kit lens, 40mm/2.8). The k-s2 will enjoy it, and I'll test drive it on the a7r² for academic interest 🫣

K5JR2859.jpg Some say its 36×24 vignette is ok, others not; we'll see which side of the fence I fall on. Loved the 40-Limited variant on my K5!

Wife got a new printer for our home office, an Epson EcoTank ET-3850. I know its not a photo printer, but I intend to see what it can do with some glossy paper and some trial and error.

Wife got a new printer for our home office, an Epson EcoTank ET-3850. I know its not a photo printer, but I intend to see what it can do with some glossy paper and some trial and error.
Good luck, Chris. I bought an Epson ET-8550 May last year, again technically not a photo printer, but as close as I could get using tanks instead of cartridges. It's great to be able to enjoy your photos in hard copy, I've got several A3 prints at home, and a few A4's at work, they can't be too bad, a few people have asked for copies for themselves. I have now calibrated my monitor, but before that saved a lot of trial and error by adjusting the monitor brightness, contrast etc. to mirror what printed out.

I see Canon have announced the new Pro-1100 17" printer. I would like to get one of these.

just preordered the 85GM II, I have not had an 85 in a long time, with now two 3 year old grankids and another one the way, it felt like a good time to get one.

Smart to choose the one with dual linear motors! Reports are that they are some of the largest motors Sony has made, to make it super-fast.

A SunwayFoto DYH-68 Tripod levelling base. Hopefully it will make levelling my tripod for the star tracker less fiddly.

A SunwayFoto DYH-68 Tripod levelling base. Hopefully it will make levelling my tripod for the star tracker less fiddly.
HI Dave, I've been thinking of getting something like this. What payload does it take? And can you see the spirit level and adjust when you have equipment mounted to the levelling base? Also, can you use it for pano's, all the way round, 360 deg?

HI Dave, I've been thinking of getting something like this. What payload does it take? And can you see the spirit level and adjust when you have equipment mounted to the levelling base? Also, can you use it for pano's, all the way round, 360 deg?
Hi Ed, they claim a payload of 10kg, it is purely a levelling base, for pano's you would want something similar to the Neewer swivel base I already have. This was purely to remove the fiddling round with tripod legs so that I can aim my star tracker from a level base.
714pBuFYLYL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Good luck, Chris. I bought an Epson ET-8550 May last year, again technically not a photo printer, but as close as I could get using tanks instead of cartridges. It's great to be able to enjoy your photos in hard copy, I've got several A3 prints at home, and a few A4's at work, they can't be too bad, a few people have asked for copies for themselves. I have now calibrated my monitor, but before that saved a lot of trial and error by adjusting the monitor brightness, contrast etc. to mirror what printed out.
Did you find that the initial prints came out too saturated? or were there any other adjustments you made to the image file to suit your preference when printing?

I saw that, here in the UK its £1100 plus a full set of 12 inks is nearly that again! I think the wife would kick me out :)
Saw that and thought the same immediately! 12 ink cartridges! Clearly, I'm too cheap to get a "professional" printer :ROFLMAO:

Did you find that the initial prints came out too saturated? or were there any other adjustments you made to the image file to suit your preference when printing?
I found the initial prints over saturated, but once I dialled in my monitor settings they came out of the printer looking good, but as they dried looked a little too red. It seems to take about 48 hours or so for the inks to "set". I was fortunate enough to have multiple 6X4 sample packs of Epson photo paper available for experimenting, as well as about 50 sheets of A4 that my daughter bought but no longer wanted. This allowed me to play around until I got the results I wanted. If I remember correctly you are a fellow On1 user, I have had my most satisfying results by printing directly from On1, adjusting for paper etc. in the printer properties dialog box, and the On1 print properties. Hope this all helps. There is also a free download from Epson called Epson print layout which can sometimes be useful, and has additional paper profiles to the stock dialog box.

Back