What Photography related item have you bought or sold this week?

Circular Polarisers are far from redundant on Mirrorless. UV Filters, yes, but not polarisers. Yes, you can adjust in post, but you always could, it's not the same thing as actually using one. I don't, because I have no need, but they can be used and can be useful.

Just picked up a Peak Design Slide Lite in the new colour: Coyote Brown. I have the Slide Lite in every colour but black ('cause black's not cool :D )

There are a couple of nice changes - the packaging is all cardboard now, and there'd no glue, just folding and two pieces of tape to seal it.

More noticeably, though, it comes with the black anchors, instead of the red and black ones - that's an interesting switch - until now the only way to get the all-black anchors was to buy them separately - I've been tempted a couple of times, but haven't.

And even more importantly, it comes with two replacement split rings. If you are a bit irritated with Sony's triangular split rings (like me), Peak Design have including a tool to open the rings and two replacements that are oval. I think I might go for this - see what I think of it.

Circular Polarisers are far from redundant on Mirrorless. UV Filters, yes, but not polarisers. Yes, you can adjust in post, but you always could, it's not the same thing as actually using one. I don't, because I have no need, but they can be used and can be useful.
I'd almost go as far as to say they are one of the few filters that make sense on mirrorless cameras. ND filters would be the other category I'd consider.

I don't own a circular polarising filter yet, but I suspect I will at some point. I do own an ND filter :cool:

I'd almost go as far as to say they are one of the few filters that make sense on mirrorless cameras. ND filters would be the other category I'd consider.

I don't own a circular polarising filter yet, but I suspect I will at some point. I do own an ND filter :cool:
Yes, ND are definitely a very useful tool.

Just picked up a Peak Design Slide Lite in the new colour: Coyote Brown. I have the Slide Lite in every colour but black ('cause black's not cool :D )

There are a couple of nice changes - the packaging is all cardboard now, and there'd no glue, just folding and two pieces of tape to seal it.

More noticeably, though, it comes with the black anchors, instead of the red and black ones - that's an interesting switch - until now the only way to get the all-black anchors was to buy them separately - I've been tempted a couple of times, but haven't.

And even more importantly, it comes with two replacement split rings. If you are a bit irritated with Sony's triangular split rings (like me), Peak Design have including a tool to open the rings and two replacements that are oval. I think I might go for this - see what I think of it.
I gave it a go, and the split ring replacement was made fairly easy by the plastic tool Peak Design included.

I learned that the reason that the Sony rings are fairly stiff in the mount points is that they are splayed apart on the "point" that sits in the eyelet.

So this is what the Peak Design anchor looks like in the Sony split ring (photographed on the A1 because I forgot to take a "before" shot)"
:
A1_SonyRing_PDanchor.jpg

And here is what the Peak Design replacement oval split ring looks like on the A9 III:

A9III_PDring_PDanchor.jpg

Peak Design also supply the cute black plastic covers. This shot also shows the new all-black anchors.

I might see if I can get some more of these oval rings - I like the look.

All black equals cost saving. Cheaper moulding process.
A sort of sickly white tan grey would be the cheapest as that is the only color that wouldn't require a dye. It costs about 1 cent to color a plastic mold that is 1'x1'x1'.

I gave it a go, and the split ring replacement was made fairly easy by the plastic tool Peak Design included.

I learned that the reason that the Sony rings are fairly stiff in the mount points is that they are splayed apart on the "point" that sits in the eyelet.

So this is what the Peak Design anchor looks like in the Sony split ring (photographed on the A1 because I forgot to take a "before" shot)"
:
View attachment 61966

And here is what the Peak Design replacement oval split ring looks like on the A9 III:

View attachment 61967

Peak Design also supply the cute black plastic covers. This shot also shows the new all-black anchors.

I might see if I can get some more of these oval rings - I like the look.
I like this. I might get one (coyote slide lite) and mostly because of the anchors and oval rings.

I like this. I might get one (coyote slide lite) and mostly because of the anchors and oval rings.

I have sent a query into Peak Design asking if I can buy some more of the oval rings. I already have a bunch of their straps :D

Circular Polarisers are far from redundant on Mirrorless.
Maybe redundant was the wrong word. They are certainly useable on mirrorless cameras but not required as they are on auto focus SLR's (film or digital) with semi-transparent mirrors. Some of the photos in my gallery I have used a circular polariser. Also, like I said, linear polarisers are less prone to having a colour cast (apparently) and are generally cheaper (I think). My new filters will arrive this week and I'm looking forward to trying using two polarisers as a variable ND filter.

After seeing some reviews around the place, I decided recently to go for PGYTECH straps for my A7R5 rather than Peak Design. I have found now that I tend to use a wrist strap much more than a neck strap.

I have sent a query into Peak Design asking if I can buy some more of the oval rings. I already have a bunch of their straps :D

Peak Design replied: the new split rings are not available separately :cry:

I may be buying another Coyote strap to get the split rings for another camera.

After seeing some reviews around the place, I decided recently to go for PGYTECH straps for my A7R5 rather than Peak Design. I have found now that I tend to use a wrist strap much more than a neck strap.
I thought I would too, but I discovered that with the neck strap I can "drop" the camera if I need to grab my kid. the wrist strap still kind of monopolizes my right hand, so I'm using neck strap more often now.

Let go of both my Tamron 35s (sp f1.8 A-mount and di³ f2.8 E) and going with a Sony 28/2. A more familiar focal length in my use, plus an extra stop of light for the next auroral outburst (y)

Last edited:
Sold my old Mavic drone, have a little pocket money now. Not enough to buy a great lens, so might upgrade my 30mm Macro or just add the $ to a piggy bank until I can afford something proper.

I just bought a
Leofoto LN-404 C tripod for my 200-600 lens. Sturdy as a brick wall.

I am now waiting for delivery of the FE f2.8 24-50mm to compliment my Tamron 50-400mm lens...

Today it arrived and it's form factor is so much better than the 24-70mm, smaller , lighter and better balanced .
PXL_20240613_181624734.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
  • Pixel 7 Pro
  • Pixel 7 Pro back camera 6.81mm f/1.85
  • 6.8 mm
  • ƒ/1.85
  • 40000/1000000 sec
  • ISO 1273

Attachments

• PXL_20240613_181921141.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
    PXL_20240613_181921141.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Olympus OM1 with a 12-40 kit lens and the Olympus 100 400. This is to be my wifes new gear and we will be selling all of the Nikon stuff we own, which, thanks to import prices on the Olympus being super low, will almost pay for it!

I just received a Prograde CFexpress v4 type A card and reader - if you are interested, then I strongly recommend getting them from Prograde directly: https://progradedigital.com/ - I got the card and reader, including delivery and customs duties, for less that the price of the card alone from B&H or Adorama (and last time I looked they were still saying "coming soon"). Just remember to sign up for their newsletter and get a 15% discount on your first purchase.

It's nice to have a 480GB CFexpressA card, and even cooler if you connect the v4 reader (it's the single slot reader - the dual slot is USB 3, not 4) to a USB 4 socket. Connected to a regular USB C socket capable of 10Gbps the card reads and writes at a bit over 700MB/s. But connected to a USB 4 socket (like the sockets on the back of a Mac Studio), the card can be read and written at over 1500MB/s. You have to use a USB 4 cable as well as a USB 4 socket - the v4 reader comes with a USB 4 cable.

The one thing I don't really like is that they built a strong magnet into the card reader so you can stick it to a metal plate (they supply a plate so you can attach the plate to your laptop and have the card reader attach to the plate). Catch is that if you put the reader on top of a magnetic disk, it can damage the disk. I wish the magnet was optional / removable! At the moment I have the reader sitting on top of a cardboard box.

I'm taking the card out for its first shoot this weekend. I'm really looking forward to watching it download really fast :cool:

UPDATE: I just checked and Adorama has dropped their price on the card to match the price on Prograde's website. B&H hasn't yet (but they are closed for a holiday). The 15% discount at Prograde still makes buying from Prograde look good, at least for the first purchase.

I've an A-mount Sony 85/2.8sam coming soon, small and full of potential. It will have stiff competition though, my Pentax-m 85/2 is mighty nice, and nearly as small! AF vs light gathering, bokeh check and other fun specs to compare..

I'm just unpacking these now. I'm looking forward to experimenting with the IR one.
Hey Richard, how are the new filters working out? I need to purchase my first set of filters, so keen to know how you are doing.

I love these Maven filters. Really easy to use, great quality glass, some real thinking has gone into the design. I haven't had a chance to use the IR one yet as, being winter here now, there has been a lack of blue sky and sunshine which you really require for IR, along with green foliage. I'm sure we'll get some better conditions for it over the next couple of months. Have been using the NDs for a bit of video though.

Back