Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Other Camera What would you do?

genesiusj

Followers
Following
Name
Genesius Jaromsky
Hello,
I boxed up some of my Dad's old cameras a long time and going to a local dealer to sell/trade to repair my A6300. When I checked the value of this camera a few year back I must haven't Googled it incorrectly because it was selling for around $125-$150. I Googled it again today with the correct model and S/N and it is worth a lot more. I'm debating to sell it and upgrade my entire setup, or keep and pass it to my son or daughter after I go to meet my maker.
My Dad's camera is a Robot Royal 18a. The a is significant because Robot only made 65 to 75 of this model.

Here a few links for the camera.
https://www.schouten-select.com/robot-royal-18-schneider-kreuznach-40mm-f1-9-xenon-lens-rare.html
https://picclick.com/ROBOT-ROYAL-18-HALF-FRAME-CAMERA-30mm-XENAGON-201590265236.html

God bless,
Genesius 🙏 📸

I have a number of Robot cameras in my collection including three Royals, 24 and 36 models, to be honest their prices are all over the place depending on model and history. The 18 seems to one of the more rare ones, if it works well and you do not have an emotional connection to the camera sell it. Selling it for what you saw listed for will require you to sell it on something like ebay, a camera store would never pay anything close to that unless the owner is a Robot collector.
At this point in my life I would think I will sell off most of my collection before it is too late, I do not see my children really wanting any of those collectables.

I have a number of Robot cameras in my collection including three Royals, 24 and 36 models, to be honest their prices are all over the place depending on model and history. The 18 seems to one of the more rare ones, if it works well and you do not have an emotional connection to the camera sell it. Selling it for what you saw listed for will require you to sell it on something like ebay, a camera store would never pay anything close to that unless the owner is a Robot collector.
At this point in my life I would think I will sell off most of my collection before it is too late, I do not see my children really wanting any of those collectables.
Thanks.
I had the camera shop appraise the Robot and found asking prices on eBay with zero bid histories. As he was opening the Robot the leather material on body started to disintegrate. We never were able to find out if the camera is functional or not.
I guess I'll try to sell on eBay, but for how much?
Thanks and God bless.
Genesius 🙏📸

Are you familiar with how Robots work, they were the first real motorized cameras, if the leatherette body cover is coming apart there is a good chance the camera may have some other issues due to storage conditions. I was just curious if it will transport film, whether the shutter, aperture ring and focus work as they are supposed to. The value of the condition and the difference between working and not can make a big difference. Robot made both verey primitive basic windup cameras and there attempt to compete with the big boy German brands with the Royal models. here is my Robot Royal 24, the most popular of the models of Royal and a Robot JR one of there more basic cameras. They were used a lot as surveillance, the German air force mounted some models to aircraft during WWII
Robot Royal 24 tpsm.JPG
  • X-Pro1
  • XF35mmF1.4 R
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 10/4200 sec
  • ISO 1600
Robot Jrsm.JPG
  • X-Pro1
  • XF35mmF1.4 R
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/5
  • 10/1200 sec
  • ISO 1600

Are you familiar with how Robots work, they were the first real motorized cameras, if the leatherette body cover is coming apart there is a good chance the camera may have some other issues due to storage conditions. I was just curious if it will transport film, whether the shutter, aperture ring and focus work as they are supposed to. The value of the condition and the difference between working and not can make a big difference. Robot made both verey primitive basic windup cameras and there attempt to compete with the big boy German brands with the Royal models. here is my Robot Royal 24, the most popular of the models of Royal and a Robot JR one of there more basic cameras. They were used a lot as surveillance, the German air force mounted some models to aircraft during WWIIView attachment 59935View attachment 59936
I read a bunch of links online. Very interesting story with a watch-maker going into producing cameras.

He was able to open the camera, but unable to get the shutter to click. I don't have an 18mm widefilm catridge to test.
The Robot was kept in a climate controlled environment. :( I believe it would definitely need some repair.
I also have a set of Tefflin(?) filters and the filter cage(?) to insert them into.
Thanks and God bless,
Genesius 🙏 📸

New in Marketplace

Back