Followers
Following
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Utah
Okay, I got myself the 17-50 Tamron when it went on sale for $500 on Woot!

Now I want to buy a complimentary zoom that reaches the upper focal lengths. I'm considering the new 50-300 Tamron, or the 50-400 Tamron.

I'm loving the close-up wildlife photography I see at 400mm. But it's definitely a heavier lens.

Currently I have a Sony 24-105, a Rokinon 14mm, a Tamron 17-50 and a Tamron 28-200.

I'm just interested in opinions, with a little bit of rationale. Thanks.

I'm liking the idea of the 50-300 more and more every time I see the specs. Better minimum focusing distance than my Tamron 70-300 AND it has vibration compensation. Gonna trade in soon.

What body do you have? I got a Tamron 50-400 with my A7RV last year. It’s the biggest lens I have ever owned. I haven’t had a chance to use it as much as I would have liked yet (along with all my new gear) but results so far have been really pleasing. I was recommended the Tamron by users when I was doing research into what body to buy. It also has good reviews. I guess the 50-300 is more or less a smaller version. If you’re interested, you can find some results in my gallery.

What camera are you shooting and how into close-up wildlife photography are you?

I enjoy being able to catch wildlife when I'm out if I happen to have a telephoto with me. But the likelihood of me carrying the 50-400 just in case? Not very likely. And an intentional outing? The answer would be rarely.

So for me, the smaller the better, the more likely I am to carry it around with me.

I'm liking the idea of the 50-300 more and more every time I see the specs. Better minimum focusing distance than my Tamron 70-300 AND it has vibration compensation. Gonna trade in soon.
Where do you make your lens trades Chris? I have some lens trades I would like to make too, and we’re both in the USA.

What body do you have?
I have an a7R III. I just bought the battery grip, and it's a lot bigger and heavier than I thought it would be. It would certainly handle the 50-400, but it would be a beast. It would be monopod time probably, although it wouldn't have the lens ring mount. I think the 50-300 is sounding better, just for compactness, and likelihood of use.

I have the grip for my camera also. The good thing with that is you can fit it or remove it depending on the situation. I’m finding now that I have it fitted most of the time. I bought a good tripod collar on Amazon. Also, I don’t like monopods. It’s tripod or hand held.

Where do you make your lens trades Chris? I have some lens trades I would like to make too, and we’re both in the USA.
I have used MPB and KEH, it just depends on who has the used lens I want to trade in for.
In this case though, the Tamron 50-300 is too new and won't be available at either retailer. So I'm considering either trading in for a check (KEH/MPB), or attempt a local private sale. Option 3, trade into Adorama and used the dollar value as store credit towards a brand new lens.

Sorry Jeff, didn't mean to take over your thread. Carry on.

I live Adorama. I use their print service Printque. They are great.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back