Sony A7 III Best way to take short videos during a photoshoot? (Details in comments)

firozjokhi

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
firozjokhi
Hi, I do some family photography and love taking short videos in-between taking photos.

I have some settings saved as my Shooting Mode 1 (f/2.8, ISO200, 1/400), but as I am shooting, I keep adjusting aperture and ISO to account for poses. I also use back-button focus (AF-ON) instead of using half-shutter.

If I switch my Shooting Mode to Video, I am able to use the auto-focus capability with a Center focus, so as I switch to a different person, their face/eyes are always in focus. But now, when I switch back to my Mode 1, it defaults back to saved setting and I have to adjust the aperture and ISO all over again.

Which is why I generally use the Record (red) button to take videos without changing the Shooting Mode. But in that record mode, I don't see a way to use the auto-focus ability in this mode. Pressing the AF-ON does not give that smooth auto-focus and instead jerks into focus.

So a 2-part question-

1. Is there a way to use auto-focus with the record mode (red button) so as I switch from recording one face to another, it always auto-focuses on their eyes/face?
  2. Is there a way to save my current shooting setting when I switch back-and-forth between shooting modes (mainly Mode 1 and Video)?
Thank you for the help!

Sorry, I tagged the post with the A7iii, but I guess I should have put that in my post as well.

Back