Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Cameras at F1?

FowlersFreeTime

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
Anyone ever gone to an F1 race? Spectator only, no special press pass. I got a surprise from the wife and we're going to the Miami Grand Prix this weekend! Naturally I want to know if I can take my camera šŸ˜…

Why don't you check the rules smart guy? LoL well here are the rules:

Point-and-shoot cameras and cameras with consumer-grade detachable lenses will be allowed in order for guests to take photos, provided that they are only for personal and private non-commercial purposes. However, monopods, tripods, selfie sticks, audio recording devices, and video cameras will not be permitted inside Miami International Autodrome. Cameras may be subject to additional screening.

I feel like an ignorant guard might hassle me, even if its only an A6700 with 70-300mm lens.

We have got a few motor racing things happen in my area and many you can't take a big camera in with you.
Only those with the passes can get in for the reasons you have said.
I hope you get in.

That's a nice surprise Chris! :) I reckon you'll be fine with the A6700 and 70-300 šŸ¤ž The last F1 race that I attended was the 2001 German Grand Prix at the Hockenheimring. They still had the V10 engines back then and I wished I'd taken some ear plugs as we were right next to the track. Ticket prices have increased astronomically since which puts me off going and I rarely watch the races anymore since they switched to Pay TV.

Why don't you check the rules smart guy? LoL well here are the rules:

Point-and-shoot cameras and cameras with consumer-grade detachable lenses will be allowed in order for guests to take photos, provided that they are only for personal and private non-commercial purposes. However, monopods, tripods, selfie sticks, audio recording devices, and video cameras will not be permitted inside Miami International Autodrome. Cameras may be subject to additional screening.

I feel like an ignorant guard might hassle me, even if its only an A6700 with 70-300mm lens.
You should be fine. I wouldn't attempt to bring a 200-600 or 600 or 400. I've seen shots of crowds with what appear to be either 70-200 or 100-400s (defiantly external zoom lens) but it is going to differ between sites as to what they consider the limit.

BRING EAR PLUGS.

Side note: WTF is a "consumer-grade detachable lens"? Would a non-G/GM lens qualify but a GM not?
Side side note: A shame that people will not be allow to record any video at the race since "no video cameras will be permitted". Just in case you were wondering there is a Canon video camera that is sold at Best Buy that costs $1800 and can record up to 1080p to an SD card.

Thanks guys, I am definitely bringing earplugs for wife and myself and I have over-ear protection for the little one. She's still small enough to be free admission and we don't have a babysitter, so this will be a first event for all 3 of us!

The rules are silly. My gear is 100% consumer grade, but if I had an A7CR and the same lens, I would say that blurs the line of "consumer vs professional". Where is this mythical line drawn? Not to mention that every phone, pocket cam, and mirrorless can take 4k video nowadays. I've watched a few vlogs of people that went to these events and it is apparent that the rules don't stop people from taking video. I have a few friends going to the practice and qualifying days prior to race day, I will ask them to keep an eye out for people armed with cameras similarly sized to mine.

We are attending the Belgian F1 race later this year and I plan to bring my travel kit with me (A7R5, 24/2.8G, 40/2.5G, 50/2.5G) which according the race rules should be permitted.

I'm curious if I'll get any questions ... we have tickets for the full weekend, so I'll have a chance to "test the waters" on Thursday and Friday before the race and be prepared for race day on Sunday. That said, there will be mobile devices present that exceed the megapixels and reach of my kit that won't get even a second glance.

Watch any F1 race coverage and you don't see spectator faces, you only see mobile devices in front of everyone. It's a sad commentary as no one seems to be living in the moment and enjoying the actual race to record a video that I doubt many will ever watch again.

Video? My camera takes video too?

Oh! That's what this little switch is for!

(And yeah, phones. Phones make all such rules look stupid.)

We are attending the Belgian F1 race later this year and I plan to bring my travel kit with me (A7R5, 24/2.8G, 40/2.5G, 50/2.5G) which according the race rules should be permitted.

I'm curious if I'll get any questions ... we have tickets for the full weekend, so I'll have a chance to "test the waters" on Thursday and Friday before the race and be prepared for race day on Sunday. That said, there will be mobile devices present that exceed the megapixels and reach of my kit that won't get even a second glance.

Watch any F1 race coverage and you don't see spectator faces, you only see mobile devices in front of everyone. It's a sad commentary as no one seems to be living in the moment and enjoying the actual race to record a video that I doubt many will ever watch again.
Welcome to the forum bozaman, and completely agree!
BTW, your prime lenses won't attract much attention I don't think. Here in Florida many of our events require us to use clear bags for bringing anything into the stadiums, so I'm gonna skip the bag by not bringing any other lenses.

Welcome to the forum bozaman, and completely agree!
BTW, your prime lenses won't attract much attention I don't think. Here in Florida many of our events require us to use clear bags for bringing anything into the stadiums, so I'm gonna skip the bag by not bringing any other lenses.
Thank you! To use an old turn-of-phrase: "long time listener, first-time caller ... " šŸ˜€

You bring up a good point about the bag, which I know is typically very much clear-bag only in the US for most sporting / public events. I'll need to recheck this for Belgium. I would default to using the 40/2.5G if I went only one prime but I might then have to also reconsider a travel zoom like the 20-70/4G to give a decent wide-tele range. I'm not as excited by the f/4 but it would serve its purpose for this trip.

Thanks for the welcome, and enjoy the Miami GP. (y)

I can report that they did let me in with my camera.
Perhaps they took pity on me because I also had a 25lb toddler strapped to my back šŸ˜…

Initial photos transferred over with the Creator's App look ok, but I'll try to look at them on my PC later and pick the sharpest to share here.

New in Marketplace

Back