Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Etienne Steenkamp
Country
South Africa
I had an interesting experience this weekend, where I accompanied my wife to an out of town dog jumping and agility competition, taking my camera along just to take a few shots of our own dogs, but then arriving there and being told by the organisers that they had forgotten to arrange and official event photographer and asked whether I could help out. I told them that I had only two batteries for the weekend and had not bothered packing a charger since I didn't expect to take too many photos, but I would do what I could until my batteries run out.

To my great surprise, I got nearly 2300 exposures per battery for a total of almost 4600 shots over two days (they will just have to make another plan for the third day). This is far more than I expected and I believe significantly more than advertised by Sony.

I was wondering what the experience of others on this forum is?

I find that the batteries tend to last somewhere in the 4 hours a charge range basically regardless of the number of images that I take unless I am doing a lot of tracking shots. I know I had a day waiting on eagles to do something in which I got about 200 images on a charge over 4 hours and another day in which I got around 5700 over 2.5 hours (there was still like 10% charge left but no light left) shooting swallows. I have been on plenty of outings in which I am out for around 4 hours and take in the 2000 range of shots with the battery being nearly dead.

I find that the batteries tend to last somewhere in the 4 hours a charge range basically regardless of the number of images that I take unless I am doing a lot of tracking shots. I know I had a day waiting on eagles to do something in which I got about 200 images on a charge over 4 hours and another day in which I got around 5700 over 2.5 hours (there was still like 10% charge left but no light left) shooting swallows. I have been on plenty of outings in which I am out for around 4 hours and take in the 2000 range of shots with the battery being nearly dead.
Interesting. I have never thought about it in terms of time and have no idea how long I spent actually taking photos over the two day period, since the competition happens in fits and starts, with new courses being built for different class dogs and height adjustment of the obstacles for different size dogs.

Back