Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
Sony Alpha Rumors had a video this morning about a rumored full frame 28mm f/2.8 Sony low profile "pancake" lens. Does this excite anyone? I'm kinda wondering who these lenses are for?

Not really. I use the 40mm f2.5 when I want to be light and discrete. 28 would be too wide and my crops would get even heavier.

The smallest [Sony] pancake lenses for the APSC were the 16mm and 20mm; they are really long in the tooth now and the 16 was not great. There will be a market for this lens as there seems to be a renewed interest for pancakes.
Personally, I'll pass, I'd rather have a zoom lens. Perhaps I don't like the constraint/challenge of shooting with a fixed focal length. I'm even thinking to start trading in some of my prime lenses.

Sony Alpha Rumors had a video this morning about a rumored full frame 28mm f/2.8 Sony low profile "pancake" lens. Does this excite anyone? I'm kinda wondering who these lenses are for?
This lens would make more sense for APS-C than FF. It would be decent for street photography as an APS-C lens it would be ~42mm equivalent and the size would allow an A6xxx to easily fit into a pocket.

This lens would make more sense for APS-C than FF. It would be decent for street photography as an APS-C lens it would be ~42mm equivalent and the size would allow an A6xxx to easily fit into a pocket.
I think there are a few members who like the Sony 40mm 2.8 G for a walkaround lens on their full frame, Alex is one of these users. So you might have a point.

It's strange as there's already a 24mm f2.8 G for FF... Sure technically it's not a pancake lens but it's light and compact enough I think. Maybe like Lewis said it's meant for APSC, that'd make more sense.

Here I'm wishing for a new addition to the compact prime lens series, but on the other end: something from 70 to 90 would be a nice addition.

It's strange as there's already a 24mm f2.8 G for FF... Sure technically it's not a pancake lens but it's light and compact enough I think. Maybe like Lewis said it's meant for APSC, that'd make more sense.

Here I'm wishing for a new addition to the compact prime lens series, but on the other end: something from 70 to 90 would be a nice addition.
I bought that full frame 24mm G for my A6700, it is a nice compact lens. If this rumor is to be believed, the 28mm would be even smaller. Is that even physically possible?

Back