Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
Sony Alpha Rumors had a video this morning about a rumored full frame 28mm f/2.8 Sony low profile "pancake" lens. Does this excite anyone? I'm kinda wondering who these lenses are for?

Not really. I use the 40mm f2.5 when I want to be light and discrete. 28 would be too wide and my crops would get even heavier.

The smallest [Sony] pancake lenses for the APSC were the 16mm and 20mm; they are really long in the tooth now and the 16 was not great. There will be a market for this lens as there seems to be a renewed interest for pancakes.
Personally, I'll pass, I'd rather have a zoom lens. Perhaps I don't like the constraint/challenge of shooting with a fixed focal length. I'm even thinking to start trading in some of my prime lenses.

Sony Alpha Rumors had a video this morning about a rumored full frame 28mm f/2.8 Sony low profile "pancake" lens. Does this excite anyone? I'm kinda wondering who these lenses are for?
This lens would make more sense for APS-C than FF. It would be decent for street photography as an APS-C lens it would be ~42mm equivalent and the size would allow an A6xxx to easily fit into a pocket.

This lens would make more sense for APS-C than FF. It would be decent for street photography as an APS-C lens it would be ~42mm equivalent and the size would allow an A6xxx to easily fit into a pocket.
I think there are a few members who like the Sony 40mm 2.8 G for a walkaround lens on their full frame, Alex is one of these users. So you might have a point.

It's strange as there's already a 24mm f2.8 G for FF... Sure technically it's not a pancake lens but it's light and compact enough I think. Maybe like Lewis said it's meant for APSC, that'd make more sense.

Here I'm wishing for a new addition to the compact prime lens series, but on the other end: something from 70 to 90 would be a nice addition.

It's strange as there's already a 24mm f2.8 G for FF... Sure technically it's not a pancake lens but it's light and compact enough I think. Maybe like Lewis said it's meant for APSC, that'd make more sense.

Here I'm wishing for a new addition to the compact prime lens series, but on the other end: something from 70 to 90 would be a nice addition.
I bought that full frame 24mm G for my A6700, it is a nice compact lens. If this rumor is to be believed, the 28mm would be even smaller. Is that even physically possible?

Interesting. over the last few days, Viltrox has flooded the "influencers" with their new 28mm pancake lens which is a $100 fixed aperture lens:

So could Sony make this lens relatively the same size but with a full aperture range? I guess so. Lets see if the rumor turns out to be true.

Back