Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary Groutage
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Hi all

I'm struggling somewhat to get the quality of photo that I want when I'm using the above lens handheld. I find that my focus seems to be off and I suspect that it's because I'm struggling to keep the lens still while shooting. I do have the subject in the picture but focus seems to be slightly above, below or either side of the subject. The lens itself is quite heavy so I was wondering whether people are using a tripod or monopod when shooting birds on the ground. If you do how do you use it if you are in a hide?

Another question, what is the best focus mode to use for birds on the ground? I've used wide and also centre fix, again with varying results.

Thanks

Change your "Priority Set In AF-C" (found in the AF menu section) setting to Focus and not be Balanced or Release. Doing this will drop your frame rate slightly as the camera will only release the shutter once the AF and Tracking agree they are both on the subject. What is happening for you is that your AF hasn't quite caught up to the subject when the camera says it is time to take another image.

I go handheld as I feel too restricted when the camera is mounted. I may use a tripod if in a hide and it is on the darker side but this is extremely rare.

BiF I use Area Wide +Tracking and on ground/in tree I use small spot. At least with the A1 and A7Riv the subject detection isn't good enough to use a wide setting for a bird in a bush so that is a no go and center fix is too limiting but also too large of a focus box.

My personal settings, and I always shoot handheld by the way.

For birds in flight: AF-C always, for everything, OSS off, expanded flexible spot with tracking or wide, depending on the subject size, big birds are easier on expanded spot, but I will quite often use single centre and manually track bigger subjects, especially in good light.

Ground birds, always single centre point focus, never anything else ever, it's easily the most accurate, as it should be. No tracking either. In hides I rest the lens on my hand, elbow on the frame/table, or will rest the lens on the window edges. OSS is always on in this situation as I generally shoot 1/1000th as a shutter speed, unless they are moving a lot, then 1/2500+ and OSS off.
By the way, I always have mode on mode 1.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back